Armando - why Gase got the job (and why others didn't) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando - why Gase got the job (and why others didn't)

Philbin having no faith in the QB does explain why the QB couldn't even audible. But the question begs to be asked. Why sign the QB to a long contract and keep the HC? Unless the FO just realized this early this season. But how can that be possible? Somethings doesn't add up here. Unless everybody in the FO and previous coaching staff are complete idiots. Come to think of it........

I have to say, if this article contains legit information, it is really one of the sadder things I have read about this franchise in a long time.

First, to say that they were worried Shanahan's accomplishments and bank account might have made him soft is unbelievable. So, instead we choose a coach with minimal accomplishments?

Next, to degrade Coughlin for a poor year with the Giants in 2015, meanwhile they kept Philbin after 3 poor years?

To say it would be a leap for Campbell to go from coaching four players to an entire team completely overlooks the fact that he was the man they chose to be the interim coach, who lead the team to 5 wins in the just-concluded season. I am not suggesting that Campbell should have been the choice, but he has more head coaching experience than Adam Gase.

I don't even want to touch on the "young Bill Belichick" nonsense, because I am not sure which individual within the Dolphins power structure had any exposure to a young Bill Belicheck. Did Armando possibly reach out to Nick Saban for this crud?

I really hope this entire article was garbage from start to finish.

It sounds to me like these are the results of a new Fins thinktank. Tannenbaum is changing the way this team thinks about the team, assesses the team, decides what went right and what went wrong, they're all coming to agreements about what goes on.
Sure we can look at it as Tannenbaum shifting blame from himself (like how he didn't pick up enough lineman last season, and instead blames Philbin for Tannehill's regression) BUT, I think they're right as well. Philbin and Lazor handcuffed Ryan the year prior, kept his passing game short, and made him one-dimensional. A year later and the same issue, teams now more ready for it, and the Dolphins O was figured out doubly fast.

Honestly I'm a bit surprised to hear such clear ideas and decisions coming from the Miami FO, as they've been so disjointed for so long. I think Ross is better for it as well, as he mentioned today, he made decisions in the past with advice from outside the team. Now, it's all internal, as he mentioned he admired Pete Carroll in Seattle, when they decide something, they decide as a team, and now he has conviction about Gase. Ross would probably be so confused on who he wanted if his current structure wasn't here.

I have a very hard time to believe Philbin didnt believe in Tannehill... the game plan has been leaning heavily on the passing game ever since he got here.... I mean it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever unless we're talking about a twisted evil plan to show the world Tannehill was a bad player by making him throw 50 times a game knowing fully well it would be detrimental to the team overall... I don't like Philbin but I don't buy that....

Philbin was purposely trying to end tannehills career...it all makes sense...why else would dallas thomas continue to be a starter and the oline never getfixed

I couldn't read the whole thing, Armando makes me sick....the Fins are either delusional or Armando is a liar, why would they compare Gase to Belicheck? This front office scares me, the more they talk the less confidence I have in their decision making....

PS= if I'm Marvin Lewis I quit tonight, he has a team full of idiots......

To be fairhe said a young bellichek and i would assume it having to do with football smarts and crazy work ethic...but thats me just assuming

So if we are to believe what we read is true, let me get this right...
Philbin didn't believe in Tannehill. He was probably pushed to him by Mike Sherman, his old head coach and mentor, and perhaps Sherman convinced Ireland as well? Now, Tannebaum and Ross believe in Tannehill (obviously, they signed him to a big contract). One of the qualifications for being our head coach was being willing to work with Tannehill. Notice a strong line in there, that "Gase had the best plan of any candidate for fixing Tannehill." Even Gase, in Chicago, not even our same division or conference, could see there was something wrong with Ryan. Wow!

So if we are to believe what we read is true, let me get this right...
Philbin didn't believe in Tannehill. He was probably pushed to him by Mike Sherman, his old head coach and mentor, and perhaps Sherman convinced Ireland as well? Now, Tannebaum and Ross believe in Tannehill (obviously, they signed him to a big contract). One of the qualifications for being our head coach was being willing to work with Tannehill. Notice a strong line in there, that "Gase had the best plan of any candidate for fixing Tannehill." Even Gase, in Chicago, not even our same division or conference, could see there was something wrong with Ryan. Wow!

The last set of coaches ruined Tannehill so the question to every candidate is what is your plan to get Ryan to the next level.

If I go for an interview with a new team I am studying their key players to be prepared. You really think because he is in the nfc he didn't know Tannehill?

Some of you really reach when it's convenient.

Sent from my iPhone 6

I'm not sure if all the Philbin stuff is accurate or not, but like others have stated we know the team was unwilling to let him audible primarily because they didn't think he could handle it. This lends some credence to the report. Either way as a coach you should never have a lack of confidence in your players. That's really a lack of confidence in your own abilities to teach and game plan. I'm sure Reid doesn't think Smith is the greatest QB in the world and Bowles doesn't think Fitzpatrick is the greatest, Gruden doesn't think Cousins is the 2nd coming of Brady, but each coach tailors their game plan to their players strengths. If you ask me Tannihil has more strengths than any of those QB's. Any way I came away from the article with the sense that Gase is the kind of guy that isn't going to cry about not having enough talent at this or that position. He seems like the kind of guy who takes lemons and makes lemon aid. That's exactly what the phins need right now.

My favorite quote about Shula was when Bum Phillips said, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n". It seems that is what Gase is striving for and I hope he gets there.

I seriously doubt the comments about Philbin not believing in RT. Sounds like made up narrative after the fact to fit somebody's agenda. However, even if it was true, then I would also argue that Philbin didn't believe in Lamar Miller because he didn't use him enough.....he didn't believe in blocking so he must of hated the O-line.....and he certainly didn't believe in Rishard Mathews as that guy never saw the field......

These are all part of the buffoonery that is Joe Philbin's coaching career here in Miami. It's over.....time to move on....

Laughable... A young Bill Bellicheck!?! where did Gase come from that he deserves such a comparison?

He has the "it" factor? Based on what? One real year running his own offense? So cutler and manning have Gase endorsements.. SO WHAT. When had a player ever given a bad endorsement to anyone when asked how the felt a guy coached - rarely ever. It's being politically correct. Good luck Gase - hope you're the answer but tbh I'm not very impressed

The best thing about this board is how some actually think they know what they've talking about. I understand being pessimistic based on passed results but come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an interesting article to hear some of the inner workings of the coaching search, especially Mike Smith not interviewing well and the team thinking Shanahan assembling a staff would be difficult.

Great Gase came with a plan for Ryan. Playing against him he would have a good idea what he was good at and likely saw the idiotic Dolphins coaching staff not taking advantage of those strengths.

For many years, some on this site have begged for a coach that has a mind that could compete with Belichick's....now that we potentially have one everyone is: "**** this guy, does not impress me" when we have read multiple reports about how smart he is and have been given specific examples. This doesn't mean he will, but you have to like the potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scapegoating of Philbin has become laughable at this point. Basically, everything was his fault and nobody, including players and staff that were here at the same time as him take any responsibility for their part in this sh** show that the Dolphins have become. Philbin has become the ex employee that everybody now blames for all the problems with their department/company.

And now we have Gase. In a time when this team needs a strong presence to unite and inspire the players to achieve and surpass their potential with not only a vision, but a proven past of success that everyone can believe in, Tannenbaum convinces Ross to pick the the head coaching equivalent of Ryan Tannehill; a no experience project HC with "loads of potential". Tannenbaum actually picked a guy with less head coaching experience than Dan Campbell.

Color me unimpressed. No season tickets in this household.

The scapegoating of Philbin has become laughable at this point. Basically, everything was his fault and nobody, including players and staff that were here at the same time as him take any responsibility for their part in this sh** show that the Dolphins have become. Philbin has become the ex employee that everybody now blames for all the problems with their department/company.

And now we have Gase. In a time when this team needs a strong presence to unite and inspire the players to achieve and surpass their potential with not only a vision, but a proven past of success that everyone can believe in, Tannenbaum convinces Ross to pick the the head coaching equivalent of Ryan Tannehill; a no experience project HC with "loads of potential". Tannenbaum actually picked a guy with less head coaching experience than Dan Campbell.

Color me unimpressed. No season tickets in this household.

Are your seats good? How many?

Back
Top Bottom