Brady was never as good as they say | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brady was never as good as they say

SkapePhin said:
So, Was Brady the one who turned everything into gold, or was it BB? BB was building the infrastructure for a great team right? Ever stop to think that Bledsoe simply didnt fit into what BB was trying to do but he was handcuffed because of his salary? Bledsoe stays healthy, and BB is fired.. But not because of Brady, but because Bledsoe was above BB's system.. BB couldnt control Bledsoe, like he could control a raw, young Brady.. Bledsoe had that gunslinger mentality that went against everything BB believes in.. BB needed control, and he couldnt do that with Bledsoe, and Bledsoe would just continue to get sacked and throw picks, just like he did in Buffalo. Everything hinged on Bledsoe.. BB had already quietly put the pieces in place for a good team, he just had Frankenstein at the helm.. Once he was gone, it was all roses from there.

My argument isn't that Brady turned everything into gold. And I'm not saying Brady made Belichick. All I'm sayings is that the situation wasn't "great" at all. It was bleak. And read the article I linked, all the experts thought the situation in New England was bleak too.

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_2000/nflist_030501.asp

tylaw4president said:
My argument isn't that Brady turned everything into gold. And I'm not saying Brady made Belichick. All I'm sayings is that the situation wasn't "great" at all. It was bleak. And read the article I linked, all the experts thought the situation in New England was bleak too.

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_2000/nflist_030501.asp

GAH!!!!! But it wasnt bleak because he wasnt playing for the CARROL ERA Patriots anymore!!! Dont you see what Im trying to get at?? BB had already quietly begun to put the pieces in place! That team couldnt win a SB unless the pieces WERE in place.. Anyteam that goes to a SB when you take over is by no means BLEAK, UNLESS, of course, Brady truly indeed is the 2nd coming of Christ...

SkapePhin said:
GAH!!!!! But it wasnt bleak because he wasnt playing for the CARROL ERA Patriots anymore!!! Dont you see what Im trying to get at?? BB had already quietly begun to put the pieces in place! That team couldnt win a SB unless the pieces WERE in place.. Anyteam that goes to a SB when you take over is by no means BLEAK, UNLESS, of course, Brady truly indeed is the 2nd coming of Christ...

THe pats weren't going anywhere with Bledsoe. That's a fact.

SkapePhin said:
Thats what Im saying...

The pats situation was pretty bleek when before and after Bledsoe went down. Even though Bledsoe wasn't going to take the team anywhere, neither was the unknown Tom Brady, or so we thought. The patsies were a laughing stock and hiring Belichick was a big risk.

FiN.in.RI said:
The pats situation was pretty bleek when before and after Bledsoe went down. Even though Bledsoe wasn't going to take the team anywhere, neither was the unknown Tom Brady, or so we thought. The patsies were a laughing stock and hiring Belichick was a big risk.

Ill post this again:

So, Was Brady the one who turned everything into gold, or was it BB? BB was building the infrastructure for a great team right? Ever stop to think that Bledsoe simply didnt fit into what BB was trying to do but he was handcuffed because of his salary? Bledsoe stays healthy, and BB is fired.. But not because of Brady, but because Bledsoe was above BB's system.. BB couldnt control Bledsoe, like he could control a raw, young Brady.. Bledsoe had that gunslinger mentality that went against everything BB believes in.. BB needed control, and he couldnt do that with Bledsoe, and Bledsoe would just continue to get sacked and throw picks, just like he did in Buffalo. Everything hinged on Bledsoe.. BB had already quietly put the pieces in place for a good team, he just had Frankenstein at the helm.. Once he was gone, it was all roses from there.

BB won with Brady because he could control him.. Brady didnt try to win games, he managed games.. and he managed them very well.

SkapePhin said:

Yea i guess, a little maybe, what you're saying is obvious but the question is:. Why didn't he do it in Cleveland? Why couldn't Belichick get a young, raw QB to control while in Cle? Brady makes Belichick because Brady doesn't throw games away - he doesnn't turn the ball over at critical times. Makes things very easy for the coach when your field general has ice water in his veins and rarely loses a game.

fear-the-d said:
Blinded by stupidity! he was a round 6 pick for a reason! he isnt that good!!! very overated! mabe you want to think he is good so it looks like miamis Defense picked off a great QB 4 times in a game!

:shakeno:

I don't even know where to start with this post.

FiN.in.RI said:
Yea i guess, a little maybe, what you're saying is obvious but the question is:. Why didn't he do it in Cleveland? Why couldn't Belichick get a young, raw QB to control while in Cle? Brady makes Belichick because Brady doesn't throw games away - he doesnn't turn the ball over at critical times. Makes things very easy for the coach when your field general has ice water in his veins and rarely loses a game.

I never once said that Brady was bad.. I think he is a very good QB.. Just that his situation makes him "great". Thats why BB got rid of Kosar too.. If I remember correctly from the show I watched on it, Kosar improvised on the field (against BB's wishes) and got a TD.. The next week BB cut him for insubordination. He couldnt sit or cut Bledsoe because of his 100 million dollar tag, Kraft loved the guy, and at the time and Brady truly was an unknown..

I really dont know who took over for Kosar though, and he definately wasnt that good I assume.. Brady does have some traits that make him more adept for "greatness" than others, the main thing being his poise. But, that poise wouldnt mean a hill of beans in a 2004 Miami Dolpins offensive system. When you have no offensive line play, its sort of hard to stay poised.. Just look at Brady's game against Miami.. He was getting pressure allover, and threw 4 picks and lost the game.

SkapePhin said:

I'm not going to keep arguing. If you think that was a "great situation", then that's your opinion. I disagree. Quietly the pieces were in place? Which pieces were they? The didn't have a first round pick in 2000 (because of Belichick), and the only pick that panned out from that draft was Brady. If you think coming in to a 5 and 13 team, with Troy Brown, David Patten, Rod Rutledge, and Antowain Smith as your weapons is great, then that's your opinion. I'd agree the situation now is great, but that's because Belichcik and Pioli have built the team through the draft. This team doesn't resemble the 2001 team at all.

tylaw4president said:
I'm not going to keep arguing. If you think that was a "great situation", then that's your opinion. I disagree. Quietly the pieces were in place? Which pieces were they? The didn't have a first round pick in 2000 (because of Belichick), and the only pick that panned out from that draft was Brady. If you think coming in to a 5 and 13 team, with Troy Brown, David Patten, Rod Rutledge, and Antowain Smith as your weapons is great, then that's your opinion. I'd agree the situation now is great, but that's because Belichcik and Pioli have built the team through the draft. This team doesn't resemble the 2001 team at all.

By GOD! So a team wins a superbowl with a MISERABLE situation?? Cmon.. It had to be at least a GOOD situation. Im sorry, the only thing Brady did differently than Bledsoe in 2001 was be more cautious with the ball, because he was being instructed by BB and Weis and he LISTENED.

As much as I hate the guy Brady is arguably the best QB in football. IMO him and Manning are the only two that should be considered but they are both very different QBs. Brady seems to never falter and has some sort of god given luck.

This comparison all though not exact is like comparing Montana and Marino.

One was probably the better QB but the other one just always won.

McNabb is highly overrated and same with Culpepper. You want to talk about great OL, you should look at these teams. If Culpepper doesnt get 5 seconds in the pocket to make a decision it is most likely an incomplete pass or INT.

SkapePhin said:
By GOD! So a team wins a superbowl with a MISERABLE situation?? Cmon.. It had to be at least a GOOD situation. Im sorry, the only thing Brady did differently than Bledsoe in 2001 was be more cautious with the ball, because he was being instructed by BB and Weis and he LISTENED.

I posted an article that supported my point of view, so obviously I'm not alone in my assessment:

Patriots the team that's most set up for failure
By Joel Buchsbaum, Contributing editor
As published in print March 5, 2001
Drew Bledsoe
Patriots QB
Drew Bledsoe

The question posed to NFL insiders was: Which team had the least chance of making the playoffs or going to the Super Bowl in the next five years? The Patriots were a unanimous choice, but several other teams will have more than their share of obstacles to overcome as well.

Almost all the scouts we spoke to gave the following reasons for picking the Patriots.

1. The Patriots are in salary-cap hell because they spent money unwisely due to their inability to evaluate their own talent.
2. They got almost nothing out of the drafts during the Pete Carroll era, although in many of those years they had two first-round picks. One year, they even had double picks in all the higher rounds of the draft.
3. In this day and age when everyone wants a mobile quarterback who can make plays with his feet, buy time and improvise, Patriots QB Drew Bledsoe gets F’s in all these areas. To compound matters, he was the highest-paid player in the league in 2000.
4. At the other offensive skill positions, the Patriots have just one player who is of starting quality  WR Terry Glenn.
5. On the offensive line, the only lineman whom scouts like is C Damien Woody, and many say he is a superior talent who is always overweight and will not push himself hard enough. "After all this time in the league, he still can’t even make the shotgun snap," said one scout.
6. On defense, the only upper-echelon player the Pats can count on is SS Lawyer Milloy, and the defensive backfield is a disaster area aside from him.
7. The Boston media is one of the most negative in the nation, and when they have a bad team to cover, they will blame everyone, especially the coaches and management team. In the past, Bill Belichick had a hard time coping with a very negative press that treated him unfairly, and it remains to be seen if he has reached the point where he can overcome the negative assault he will be hit with. It also remains to be seen how much time owner Robert Kraft will give the coach once the vultures start swooping around.

If you want to let me know what "pieces were secretly in place" that made this situation so great, I'd love to hear them.

SkapePhin said:
Im sorry, the only thing Brady did differently than Bledsoe in 2001 was be more cautious with the ball, because he was being instructed by BB and Weis and he LISTENED.

Brady is 100x more accurate than Bledsoe and the down field throws were taken out of the playbook. It wasn't just him being more cautious with the ball.

The pats were not in a good situation at the start of that season AT ALL...They weren't superbowl contenders until Brady came in and something clicked on that team.

Back
Top Bottom