Do the Miami Dolphins have the worst QB situation in the entire NFL? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do the Miami Dolphins have the worst QB situation in the entire NFL?

Man I LOVED listening to Kellerman on 710am in LA and since he left the show has falling off a cliff with just Marcellus Wiley. Max is the smartest guy in broadcasting. Sucks to hear him say this but I disagree that there aren't worse QB situations. I do agree with him basically saying the Dolphins could be a contender with strong QB play. Lets hope we get it this year

Miami had the least amount of rushing attempts in the league. Tannehill had 586 attempts and the team rushed only 344 times. Let's look at Miami's 10 losses to see the discrepancy:

Week 2: 23-20 loss to Jaguars - RT was 30 for 44 for 359 yards and 2 TDs 0 INTs. Miller ran 10 times for 14 yards. Miami as a whole ran 16 times for 42 yards. Game was tied at 20 in the 4th quarter.
Week 3: 41-14 loss to Bills - What a bull**** game this was seeing as how I flew down to Miami for it. RT was 26 for 49 for 297 yds with 2 TDs and 3 INTs. Miller ran 7 times for 38 yards. Miami as a whole ran 20 times for 92 yards. Miami was down 27-0 at halftime.
Week 4: 27-14 loss to Jets - RT was 19 for 44 for 198 and 2 TDs 2 INTS. Miller had 7 carries for 26 yards. Miami as a whole had 11 carries for 59 yards. Miami was down 20-7 at halftime.

This is when Philbin was fired. In those 3 losses prior to him being canned, Miami threw the ball 137 times and rushed 47 times. How the hell is this supposed to be considered good coaching?

So Dan Campbell comes in and Miami wins their next 2 to get to 3-3.

Week 6: 38-10 win over Titans - RT was 22 for 29 for 266 yds 2 TDS 2 INTs. Miller had 19 carries for 113 yards. Miami as a whole ran 32 times for 181 yards.
Week 7: 44-26 win over Texans - RT was 18 for 19 for 282 yards 4 TDs 0 INTs. Miller had 14 carries for 175 yards. Miami as a whole ran 35 times for 248 yards.

In those 2 Miami wins, Tannehill had 48 attempts and had 548 yards. The team ran 67 times for 429 yards. This is called balance (could even be considered run-heavy).

Miami then faced NE on a Thursday night game. They lose 36-7 in a game where RT had 44 pass attempts and Miami only ran 13 times. They were down 19-0 at halftime. We gave Campbell and company a mulligan b/c it's at NE on a short week.

Miami is at Buffalo next. Keep in mind Tyrod Taylor had an average QBR of 140 in the 2 games he played Miami. RT had 35 attempts in a game where he was 26 for 35 for 307 yards (0 TDs/0 INTs and only 2 sacks). Miami as a whole ran 23 times so the balance wasn't as awful as usual. It's just that Buffalo ran 35 times for 266 yards (McCoy and Williams had 112/110 yds respectively) for 3 TDs. This was also the game where Watkins made Grimes his bitch by catching 8 balls for 168 yards. He also targeted 8 times. Miami trailed 19-7 at the half.

Miami stood 3-5 at the midway point of the season. Their next game was at Philadelphia. RT was 21 for 36 for 217 yds 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Miami as a whole ran 26 times. Philly on the other hand had 392 yards passing (Bradford/Sanchez) and overall had 475 of offense. How they lost this game I don't know.

Miami at home facing Dallas. RT goes 13 for 24 for 188 yds 2 TDs 1 INT. Miami as a whole rushes 14 times for 70 yards. 38 total plays in the game vs. Dallas' 66. Game was tied entering the 4th qtr.

Miami at the Jets. RT was 33 for 58 for 351 yds 3 TDs 1 INT. Miami as a whole ran the ball 9 times. Yes, 58 passes to 9 runs. A clear recipe for success. Marshall made Grimes his bitch with 9 catches for 131 yds and 2 TDs. 14-0 Jets at the half.

Miami faced Baltimore who was without Flacco and others. RT had only 19 attempts and 86 yards of offense while Miami ran 26 times. They won this game only due to Flacco being out.

Miami had the Giants at home on MNF. RT was 25 for 41 for 236 yds 1 TD 0 INT. Miami as a whole ran 22 times for 128 yards. The game was tied early in the 4th. Beckham ate Grimes' lunch with 7 catches 166 yds and 2 TDs.

Miami is at SD. RT was 20 for 24 for 216 yds 0 TDs 0 INT. Miami as a whole rushed 19 times for 44 yards. Danny Woodhead had 4 TDs for crissakes.

Last Miami loss of the year is home vs. Indy. RT was 26 for 38 for 329 yds 0 TD and 1 INT (sacked 6 times). Miami as a whole rushed 25 times for 82 yards. This was the game where Miami was at the Indy 5 on the last play of the game and 4 of the offensive lineman didn't block once the ball was snapped.

Lastly we get to the win vs. NE, who was playing for home-field advantage in the playoffs. RT was 25 for 38 for 350 yds and 2 TDs and Miami rushed 34 times (yay balance!). Brady had his worst game of the year in a game NE needed.

Bottom line: look at how many times Miami threw more than they ran. With the OL being suspect you'd think the coaching staff, even with the regime change, would've had common sense to change things up. Especially when Miami was 3-3 and 2-0 in Campbell's first 2 games.

Last I checked, Marino put it up way more often than the team ran and was successful. What is missing from Tannehill is that signature drive when the team needs it. Far to often in crunch time he goes three and out giving the other team's quarterback to go out and win the game.

Bah.. f#$*! that talking head.

Tannehill may not be that good, but I'll be damned if I listen to someone else trash my team.

That over dramatic, knuckle dragging simpleton can suck it.

I just want to quickly note that in those two games, the Dolphins jumped up on the opposition by ridiculous scores (like, four touchdowns up on them) in the first half and simply ground it out in the second half. I don't think those are the best games to use as examples of run heavy / balanced offense.

Much better examples are the multiples you pointed out in which Miami was pass happy despite the game being very close or tied late in the 2nd half.

False in the Tennessee game, Landry had a rushing TD in the 1st quarter and Miller had one in the 2nd giving Miami a 17-3 halftime lead. Reshad Jones had a pick-6 in the 3rd qtr and Miami led 24-10 at the end of 3. RT actually had 2 Tds thrown in the 4th quarter, one with 7:43 left with the team up 14, and the other with 2 minutes left with the team up 21.

The Houston game was one of those games you'll see every 10 years. Anything perfect that could've happened for Miami did in that first half. I mean that's the game Tannehill set an NFL record right? Plus it finally got Miami off the voodoo-curse of never beating Houston.

Last I checked, Marino put it up way more often than the team ran and was successful. What is missing from Tannehill is that signature drive when the team needs it. Far to often in crunch time he goes three and out giving the other team's quarterback to go out and win the game.

20-30 years ago. Game is different.

This is true, now it is much easier to pass the ball. When marino played defenders could be all.over the wide receivers. It is a passing league now... what was your point?

This is true, now it is much easier to pass the ball. When marino played defenders could be all.over the wide receivers. It is a passing league now... what was your point?

My overall point is that last year Miami was too one-sided and that was a major reason they were 6-10. Lamar Miller was underutilized his entire career as a Dolphin. Assuming Houston uses him in a different manner than our squad did, I imagine you'll be him blossom into a great RB.

False in the Tennessee game, Landry had a rushing TD in the 1st quarter and Miller had one in the 2nd giving Miami a 17-3 halftime lead. Reshad Jones had a pick-6 in the 3rd qtr and Miami led 24-10 at the end of 3. RT actually had 2 Tds thrown in the 4th quarter, one with 7:43 left with the team up 14, and the other with 2 minutes left with the team up 21.

The Houston game was one of those games you'll see every 10 years. Anything perfect that could've happened for Miami did in that first half. I mean that's the game Tannehill set an NFL record right? Plus it finally got Miami off the voodoo-curse of never beating Houston.

Plus their starting QB missed his charter and the Texans travel early, so guess what everybody was chit chatting/worrying about in the lobby the night before the game?

Plus their starting QB missed his charter and the Texans travel early, so guess what everybody was chit chatting/worrying about in the lobby the night before the game?

I vaguely remember that. Turns out Hoyer was the better QB anyway. They ended up cutting him (Mallett) two days later.

I'll say this . . . It is a pretty ****ed up situation if at the end of the year we are like 7-9 and Tannehill starts all the games and we do this dog and pony show with him again heading into 2017.

IMO, this is exactly what will happen.

Ever since Philbin got rid of Sparano's o-linemen and built a line consisting of players he wanted, the poor play of the line has been the main rallying cry of the anti-Tannehill crowd. (While I am not really a fan of Tannehill, I agree with this sentiment.) Over the past several years, the changes made to the o-line have never made a discernible difference; they would replace a below-average player with another below-average player. Fixing the o-line once and for all has never been a priority... all they did was apply band-aids from season to season. The unit as a whole (everyone from 1st Round picks to training camp fodder) has under-performed each and every year for various reasons, including injuries, poor coaching, poor playcalling, and poor talent. The fact that Gase has chosen to head into this season using the majority of Philbin's ineffective o-line means that yet again Tannehill will not be given a fair chance of proving himself behind a SOLID o-line. Personally, I'm all for replacing Tannehill AND the entire o-line (with the exception of Tunsil, of course).

It's completely false anyway.....Even Marino's teams were more balanced than the Dolphins have been for several years now. I looked at the Dolphins teams for 16 different Marino played and 14 out of those 16 seasons the team rushed more than 40% of the time, probably around 44% on average.

Only two times did they rush less than 40%, an 8-8 season and a 6-10 season. In 16 seasons (I didn't count the achilles year) the team ran less than 40% only twice, (36% both times) and they were two of the worst years. This Dolphins have rushed 37%, 40%, 37% the past 3 years. So we put the games on the shoulders of Tannehill more than we did on Marino. Balance is everything, and I put money on it that we are over 40% this year. Even the Manning Broncos (with Gase) did that.

for those of us at work and cant watch video, what did they say about Tannehill?

My overall point is that last year Miami was too one-sided and that was a major reason they were 6-10. Lamar Miller was underutilized his entire career as a Dolphin. Assuming Houston uses him in a different manner than our squad did, I imagine you'll be him blossom into a great RB.

Its a chicken/egg thing. Baltimore went from 11th to 28th in rushing percentage. Did they stop rushing as much because they were a bad team or did they become a bad team because they stopped rushing as much? Did Harbaugh become an idiot overnight?

I'm praying Gase can improve the offense and Tannehill enough so we don't have this conversation next season. I would hate to have an unknown at qb still going 7-9 with a subpar offense with the talent at qb coming out.

Although Tannebaum has proven he will trade up to get whatever he wants.

Its a chicken/egg thing. Baltimore went from 11th to 28th in rushing percentage. Did they stop rushing as much because they were a bad team or did they become a bad team because they stopped rushing as much? Did Harbaugh become an idiot overnight?

They were a bad team b/c Flacco, Steve Smith, and Forsett got hurt on offense (didn't Suggs miss the whole year too?). Baltimore threw too much. Flacco had 413 attempts in 10 games, which is 41.3 a game. Had he averaged that all year he would've had 659 attempts which would've had him 2 attempts behind Phillip Rivers for the NFL lead.

Look at the Top 10 QBs in pass attempts in 2015:

Rivers - 661 attempts - 4-12
Brees - 627 attempts - 7-9
Brady - 624 attempts - 12-4
Manning - 618 attempts - 6-10
Ryan - 614 attempts - 8-8
Bortles - 606 attempts - 5-11
Stafford - 592 attempts - 7-9
Tannehill - 586 attempts - 6-10
Carr - 573 attempts - 7-9
Rodgers - 572 attempts -10-6

2 of the Top 10 QBs had a winning record (Matt Ryan was .500/both are record-setting QBs also). Balance is key as much as any of us would like to believe it's a passing league.

Back
Top Bottom