Has The Sports Media Been Lying To Us About Tua's Playing Ability ? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has The Sports Media Been Lying To Us About Tua's Playing Ability ?

I like how taking the time to establish that Tua performed better than some choose to paint the picture is, to you, embarrassing. God forbid that someone takes the time to isolate how he isn't the trash that Simms, Omar, Florio, and the Co-owner of PFF Colinsworth want to pretend he is. he was a rookie. We all need to just let his second-year play out. If we're true fans we want him to succeed. He is after all the QB of the Dolphins.

Regarding the descent into grammar police comments, come on people. It's a football fan site.
Heh! Straw man alert.

No, taking the time to blah blah blah... embarrassing... is not even close to what I was commenting on. If this particular writer had just made the point that Tua's season was statistically better than many previous rookies, and then said that these other PARTICULAR ANALYSTS were wrong (in his opinion), then that would have been fine. Indeed, I would have mostly agreed with him, but that isn't what he did-- at all.

Instead, he conflated these four or five guys and called them 'the media', rather than a subset of analysts... and then, he said that they were 'lying' rather than just wrong, or had an alternate opinion than his own. He tried to turn the entire thing into some sort of tribalism (something you seem to have swallowed-- hook line and sinker).

There was no 'the media' here. There are a few analysts that disagree with you. And btw... there is a difference between journalists and analysts. If a written or spoken word piece has analysis, then it is essentially an opinion piece, and one way to determine if a news organization is worth a damn is determining where they put their analysis and/or commentary. If it is on the front page (or during prime time hours), you can generally just laugh off the entire network as biased-- especially if all of their opinions agree with one another.

As far as grammar police go... That was not my commentary. However, poor grammar is usually a sign of a low education and overall lack of sophistication. Not always, but it shades in that direction. When poor grammar, lack of proper paragraphing, and wrong word errors creep into a supposedly professional piece, it is even worse. This usually shows that the network itself has sloppy editorial standards and that pieces are improperly reviewed before publication.

Heh! Straw man alert.

No, taking the time to blah blah blah... embarrassing... is not even close to what I was commenting on. If this particular writer had just made the point that Tua's season was statistically better than many previous rookies, and then said that these other PARTICULAR ANALYSTS were wrong (in his opinion), then that would have been fine. Indeed, I would have mostly agreed with him, but that isn't what he did-- at all.

Instead, he conflated these four or five guys and called them 'the media', rather than a subset of analysts... and then, he said that they were 'lying' rather than just wrong, or had an alternate opinion than his own. He tried to turn the entire thing into some sort of tribalism (something you seem to have swallowed-- hook line and sinker).

There was no 'the media' here. There are a few analysts that disagree with you. And btw... there is a difference between journalists and analysts. If a written or spoken word piece has analysis, then it is essentially an opinion piece, and one way to determine if a news organization is worth a damn is determining where they put their analysis and/or commentary. If it is on the front page (or during prime time hours), you can generally just laugh off the entire network as biased-- especially if all of their opinions agree with one another.

As far as grammar police go... That was not my commentary. However, poor grammar is usually a sign of a low education and overall lack of sophistication. Not always, but it shades in that direction. When poor grammar, lack of proper paragraphing, and wrong word errors creep into a supposedly professional piece, it is even worse. This usually shows that the network itself has sloppy editorial standards and that pieces are improperly reviewed before publication.
Your post's preface caused me to instantly stop paying attention. You seem quite defensive. This is not the annual AP meeting and is, instead, a forum to discuss football, and particularly; Dolphins football. I agree with what proper grammar means but, few here give a hoot and they really shouldn't as it's not everyone's priority. To drone on about it just makes you seem like you have chosen to portray yourself as an intellectual in an arena for easy sniping. While, per our avatars, we clearly shop at the same hat store, we're of different minds on most topics. I celebrate the OP for finding a fresh perspective that paints our QB favorably. Tua doesn't deserve the hate he's getting and I'm glad someone has the testicular fortitude to stand up for him.

Soon there will be proper football news and we will see how Tua is going to perform as he steps into year two. I personally feel he will prove to be an elite talent. I hope I'm correct and am certain everyone on here hopes the same. If not, why are they a fan?

No matter what your opinion/outlook is for Tua going foward... I dont remember a rookie QB getting this kind of negative attention from the media after that kind of rookie season... I mean Sam ****ing Darnold who hasnt sniffed Tua's production after 3 seasons is mostly believed to be a major breakout candidate by mainstream media...
I think has more to do with the lack of “wow” factor that was displayed than anything.

It can be argued that it was because of legitimate reasons, but it it’s up to Tua to prove that starting this year!

This shouldn't come with any surprise. It is the animosity that some qb's get when playing for national teams. Add Justin Herbert to the mix, and you are going to have deeper criticism from the same news media. I just hope mac jones get's the same media critiques that Tua did, but we all know he won't because he will be playing for America's team.
Top pick get critiques..There ain't but one way handle that ball out or they go keep talking **** about u.. until another qb take ur job..this the nfl...not for long. it dont make no sense for fans get mad..Tua know what he need do..

Last edited:
Tua is getting judged prematurely, which could also be viewed as unfairly.

I think he's going to be fine, but that's the fun that awaits us this season, right?

Besides, to paraphrase the article's author:
'Whom among us had went and throwed a first stone... at whomevers house.. should have a pox'.

PS. I hope to see him vs Daniel Jones Dec 5 as I have three FINE tickets to the Giants game @Hardrock Stadium!
Daniel Jones is bust...

I think has more to do with the lack of “wow” factor that was displayed than anything.

It can be argued that it was because of legitimate reasons, but it it’s up to Tua to prove that starting this year!
I agree. I just also believe that focusing on "wow" plays is the least effective way to evaluate a QB. Reality is that +90% of the time the QB just has to make the right read and get the ball to the right place on time. That's how guys like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Joe Montana and Peyton Manning won so often. And Tua has as much or more athleticism (arm strength, speed, agility, etc) than all of those guys. NFL history is littered with QBs who made "wow" plays but couldn't do the job consistently enough the rest of the time. The "wow" QBs like Mahomes and Josh Allen who succeed are anomalies. Most of the time they end up forgotten (think Kyle Boller, Druckenmiller, CKap, Jeff George, Jamarcus Russell, etc.).

Saw that list of of top 10 QBs in the league right now on the Herd a couple days ago. I just laugh that Herbert is on that list already. Crowned so soon lol

Saw that list of of top 10 QBs in the league right now on the Herd a couple days ago. I just laugh that Herbert is on that list already. Crowned so soon lol
Herbert is good. If he ain't top ten. he is going be..he has all talent to succeed in nfl.

There is no real media anymore in this world at least not mainstream media. Its all actors playing a role.

Back
Top Bottom