If we drafted Pitts at 6... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If we drafted Pitts at 6...

Those saying Phillip @18 have NO IDEA of his injury and concussion history...NONE!
maybe but keep in mind he also retired from football before transferring to Miami. Bigger question is probably his commitment, although i saw with my own eyes kid is a gamer and clearly worked on his craft. Thats a really really high ceiling guy if he is there at 18. no weakness in his game

maybe but keep in mind he also retired from football before transferring to Miami. Bigger question is probably his commitment, although i saw with my own eyes kid is a gamer and clearly worked on his craft. Thats a really really high ceiling guy if he is there at 18. no weakness in his game

Besides injury history, concussion history, and he quit on the game. No problem! Worthy of a 18 overall pick.

...would we even need to draft a WR?

I'm assuming Miami would run 12 personnel most of the time, so you're looking at Pitts, Gesicki, RB , Parker, and Fuller. You'd also have Bowden, Albert Wilson, Preston Williams, etc., as backups. Is there really a need to draft a WR?

If we picked Pitts (assuming he's available), then you just need a RB and that's it for the O (unless you want to also go OL like C or T).

So you could possibly do:

1. Pitts
1a. (Trade down into the 20s and pick up a 3rd rounder) - Z. Collins
2. C. Humphrey
2b. C. Basham
3. J. Holland (I personally would like to get another nickel or S)
3b. K. Gainwell / T. Sermon / K. Herbert

There are lots of other variations of course, but taking Pitts allows you to not focus on WR I would think.
Yes

IMO the Falcons are trading to some QB needy team or they’re drafting a QB. It’s stupid Cinn that will “bungle” this draft all up. They really need oline but will probably take Pitts or Chase and get their QB killed. Accept the fact that if everything goes against us we still get Devonta Smith. Think that’s Grier’s read and why he traded back. I’m OK with that.

Besides injury history, concussion history, and he quit on the game. No problem! Worthy of a 18 overall pick.
not denying the risk just saying his talent and stats make him worthy. Ceiling is off the charts. BTW, he missed one game last season and if im not mistaken it was the bowl game which he sat out to prep for draft.

not denying the risk just saying his talent and stats make him worthy. Ceiling is off the charts. BTW, he missed one game last season and if im not mistaken it was the bowl game which he sat out to prep for draft.
You don’t draft a “ceiling guy” at 18 with that much risk. You draft a guy like Kwity Paye.

He's PERFECT for what Miami does and he doesn't come with the high risk questions.

Last edited:
We need to address pass rush at some point in the first 2 or 3 rounds.

In my opinion, we need WEAPONS. We really can't go wrong with Pitts, RB and WR in the top of the draft.

If we don't go Pitts, I would supplement with an additional WR. Pitts is the only TE in the equation for me.

I'm still amazed how our fans do not appreciate the opportunity to grab a premium TE prospect. TE's have been feasting on our D for decades. We don't seem to see the pressure a great TE puts on a D.

For me, Tua's strength as a passer is going to be working the middle of the field, the sidelines and the occasional speed/deep ball.

His strengths are accuracy and ball placement. Adding one of the largest catch radius' in the game in the middle of the field is a great formula for success for Tua.

Our current TE's, Pitts, N Harris and big bodied WR to go along with our current WRs would prove very complimentary to Tua's strengths.

Tua's offense needs to focus on the middle of field with precise route running on the sidelines. You need TE's that can win the 50/50 balls and be able to catch in traffic.

With Gaskin complimenting Harris, we would have the additional pass catchers coming out of the backfield along with Harris being able to get short yardage.

Tua is a distributor. Flood the middle of the field with options and Tua will shine.
Good post, accurate imo..

I tend to agree unless they perceive someone really good is there at pick 81. At a certain point, you have to count bodies and wonder who’s likely in or out. If you pick a guy high, he’s clearly in. You cannot keep 15 receivers. Lol.
We will already be cutting some NFL quality players... I understand the desire to have a team of stars, but as there is no real guarantee that those players we draft will succeed... we could work our way into releasing a decent player because we are forced to keep a higher drafted player who isn't ready.

Despite what I have said in some of my posts I think Pitts is a terrific prospect. I just don't think he is what we need for a RPO based offense. I also think Gesicki is similar and proven.

I think Freiermuth is closer to what we need. I think Tremble as a FB/TE would be a great fit. In a RPO we need to sell the run and we need guys who are respected as blockers. They just need to be sneaky enough to fake the occasional whiff and leak out into open space.

We should have a fast up tempo offense where pass catchers win their route in the first few yards. I don't envision 7 step drops by our QB and four verticals. I think it will be quick developing plays based on rather or not a key defender bites on the run. Sure, every now and then we will have a safety who bites on the run and a WR one on one with a CB.

The ideal receiver for Fitz is very different than for Tua IMHO. I expect average pass plays to be more in the 5-10 yard range. I expect TE's routes to be more about blocking and then leaking into a soft spot in the zone, not about 20 yard seem routes.

And thats why youve gotta stop considering him a tight end. Hes a pass catcher and will be drafted as such.

Despite what I have said in some of my posts I think Pitts is a terrific prospect. I just don't think he is what we need for a RPO based offense. I also think Gesicki is similar and proven.

I think Freiermuth is closer to what we need. I think Tremble as a FB/TE would be a great fit. In a RPO we need to sell the run and we need guys who are respected as blockers. They just need to be sneaky enough to fake the occasional whiff and leak out into open space.

We should have a fast up tempo offense where pass catchers win their route in the first few yards. I don't envision 7 step drops by our QB and four verticals. I think it will be quick developing plays based on rather or not a key defender bites on the run. Sure, every now and then we will have a safety who bites on the run and a WR one on one with a CB.

The ideal receiver for Fitz is very different than for Tua IMHO. I expect average pass plays to be more in the 5-10 yard range. I expect TE's routes to be more about blocking and then leaking into a soft spot in the zone, not about 20 yard seem routes.
I disagree with your take on RPO fit. In fact, I think the opposite is true. A fast, sure handed pass catching TE is a perfect fit for that offensive package.

RPO is all about box counts, rather than power rushing.

For example, a presnap motion by a serious TE receiving threat can put the "D" in a "choose your poison" position. Move a LB/S with him great. Sink and shift great.

I actually believe it opens up the possibilities to influence the opposition in RPO, with variations that can easily be built upon.

I disagree with your take on RPO fit. In fact, I think the opposite is true. A fast, sure handed pass catching TE is a perfect fit for that offensive package.

RPO is all about box counts, rather than power rushing.

For example, a presnap motion by a serious TE receiving threat can put the "D" in a "choose your poison" position. Move a LB/S with him great. Sink and shift great.

I actually believe it opens up the possibilities to influence the opposition in RPO, with variations that can easily be built upon.
Totally agree.

And IMO classifying Pitts as a "TE" is a very loose concept.

The "challenge" with a kid like that is implementation -- specifically CREATIVE usage.

One player like that can really alter the dynamics in a game.

Of course all this is predicated on him becoming an NFL monster.

He's more than worthy of the bet IMO.

If we can get Pitts at 6 and then trade up to 10-14 and get either Smith or Waddle that would be such a home run.

It would be NUTS! But considering the other receiving talents available in the 2nd/3rd round it doesn’t seem prudent to give up the resources.

Totally agree.

And IMO classifying Pitts as a "TE" is a very loose concept.

The "challenge" with a kid like that is implementation -- specifically CREATIVE usage.

One player like that can really alter the dynamics in a game.

Of course all this is predicated on him becoming an NFL monster.

He's more than worthy of the bet IMO.

Well, He’s going to be lined up and play a lot more like a TE than a WR. That’s just a fact!

His greatest potential and mismatch capability comes when he lines up and teams approach him as a TE putting their safety and/or LB on him.

Things get more dicey when you start putting corners on him.

Sure he’ll win but it comes with more risk too.

Back
Top Bottom