Jake Fromm's Leadership is Making Him a Georgia Legend---What Miami Needs? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Jake Fromm's Leadership is Making Him a Georgia Legend---What Miami Needs?

Fromm would be an ok backup QB. He isn’t a 1st round pick.

Fromm has not lacked from having talent around him either and I would give a sizable edge to Georgia's OL.

I've watched every Tua pass in his career with the exception of a few early games during 2017 when he came in relief of Hurts. It seems to be a reach to criticize his ball placement. It is exceptional! He throws better slants than any college QB I've seen.

Rarely does he throw behind crossers and that is with speedy receivers or leads to much. That's one of his biggest assets is that he hits receivers in stride as they don't lose momentum by having to turn or twist their body.

Are you sure you are watching Tua? It's amazing how few passes get dropped and every announcer raves several times a game about his accuracy including former QBs.
As I'm sure you noted, I did point out the differences in the OL … seems we should also point out the elite nature of Alabama's WR's. Georgia has good WR's … but 'Bama's are clearly better.

Fromm hits them in stride, leads them into clear RAC areas better, and does a better job at putting the ball where the defender cannot affect the catch. Tua is good at those things, but IMHO, Fromm is better at each of those. I'm not criticizing Tua's ball placement … just pointing out that Fromm is a little better at ball placement.

Just to be clear … I'm pretty sure I've got the right Tua … and the Right Alabama … though I hear Tua's little brother is around there too. And yeah, Tua does throw behind crossers … did it last week in fact. Not saying he was so far behind the WR couldn't adjust … but it was behind none-the-less. Remember, I specifically stated his ball placement is 6-12" off about a third of the time … and he might improve that by the end of the year … but right now, it's an area on which he will undoubtedly be working.

Here is a quick search of the South Carolina game--good competition. I'm sure there's better video, but this is what I found with a quick search:

0:13 Najee Harris has to slow up a bit as he is wide open. The goal is not to overthrow the wide open man, so this isn't a big deal, but Tua puts a lot of air under the ball, and Najee has to downshift and wait for it. Would have preferred a less lofted pass slightly earlier and hit him in stride. Still, given the extreme openness of the RB, not a big deal … will not see this often in the NFL though.

1:25 Short cross to another wide open player (WR Ruggs) who is not hit in stride, in fact he has to majorly slow down and almost stop to catch the ball, before using his elite burst to instantly reach full speed and ghost the outclassed coverage. Again ... we don't see guys this open in the NFL often, but it's a short crossing throw, and he doesn't hit him in stride, but the great WR compensates effortlessly.

1:55 South Carolina QB with the best throw and catch in the game ... I know it's not Tua, but damn, that's a nice play by the QB and a fantastic play by the WR Shie Smith (sp?), so worth a watch.

2:22 Tua throws too high and too far in front of the WR DeVante Smith, who makes a great catch and turns it into a great play ... but this was a poor throw.

2:50 Tua makes a good throw, and this is a bit of a nitpick, but it's slightly behind RB Najee Harris who has to slightly slow, twist back a bit, and make the catch. Still, it's a hell of a play on 4th down, but this play was made by the elite player Najee Harris, who adjusted, made the catch, beat a man, brutalized a guy, jumped over a guy, broke another tackle and ran away from the defense for a TD.

4:40 Tua throws behind his WR DeVante Smith, who again makes an excellent play to catch it and turn it into a TD. Ironically, the announcer is calling Tua a "great slant thrower" and saying the ball is "right there" ... but clearly watching the film, it was behind the WR and only the superior WR made that happen.

6:17 Tua throws it too high and slightly in front of his crosser, WR Ruggs, who again makes a tough catch look routine and then uses his elite speed to destroy the defense in the open field.

6:40 Tua appears to throw too high and too far in front of DeVante Smith, although on this one I'm going to call that a miscommunication, because Smith sits on the spot just as Tua starts his throwing motion, and Tua throws where Smith probably should have been were he to keep his stride. Smith probably sits down to prevent running the route out of the window (another defender later in his route), and Tua probably threw it on the safer side to prevent a pass breakup from the DB covering Smith. Still, the throw is a tad high, and throwing over the middle, too high is not what you want.

All in all, I wouldn't say these were big mistakes. In fact, I'd only call the 4:40 throw a bad throw. For the college level, these are all wins. Like I said before, 6-12" off, but the WR's and RB's that Alabama have make everything look easy, and they're almost always wide open. Tua isn't facing a ton of pressure even against a good South Carolina team. I'm very excited about Tua ... but I'm hoping he improves his accuracy. That completion percentage stuff doesn't take into account things like having the best WR and RB corps in the entire game and them being wide open during the route and then brutalizing people after the catch. Tua's good ... but he still needs more development, IMHO.

Last edited:
Re Notre Dame game

Fromm is totally Fromming!

It would be interesting to see him with 'bamas WRs.

But the kid looks good. Kind of sneaky good.

Love his quick release and accuracy on fades etc.

Totally a top shelf NFL prospect.

I will agree there... accuracy is not his issue...he may very well be the best...despite everything else...we will see, by the way....what do you think of Burrow?

Burrow is playing in an offense now with spread elements and RPO concepts. Like the one he played in when he was in high school.

Last year he was playing in an offense that required him to turn his back to the defense and he wasn’t comfortable with it - never done it before.

I will agree there... accuracy is not his issue...he may very well be the best...despite everything else...we will see, by the way....what do you think of Burrow?

If you’re agreeing it’s probably wrong then.

I’m definitely not a Tua fan but Fromm’s season stats look like a game stats for Tua. This guy is Tannehill 2.0

If you’re trying to tell me it’s not a fact Tua was the best in the country last year from a clean pocket and that Fromm doesn’t retreat straight back when pressured then you’re just wrong on both accounts. But that’s nothing new around here.

Tua is much better from a clean pocket, but that first half last year Fromm was dropping straight dimes on ya . :D

Tua is much better from a clean pocket, but that first half last year Fromm was dropping straight dimes on ya . :D

Unfortunately for Fromm you have to play the second halves of football games. Got his ass taken to the woodshed again when Alabama stopped turning the football over and giving him extra chances. Shut his weak ass down.

Hell anybody can pick on Savion Smith.

Unfortunately for Fromm you have to play the second halves of football games. Got his *** taken to the woodshed again when Alabama stopped turning the football over and giving him extra chances. Shut his weak *** down.

Hell anybody can pick on Savion Smith.

Yea Fromm got undressed the 2nd half.

As I'm sure you noted, I did point out the differences in the OL … seems we should also point out the elite nature of Alabama's WR's. Georgia has good WR's … but 'Bama's are clearly better.

Fromm hits them in stride, leads them into clear RAC areas better, and does a better job at putting the ball where the defender cannot affect the catch. Tua is good at those things, but IMHO, Fromm is better at each of those. I'm not criticizing Tua's ball placement … just pointing out that Fromm is a little better at ball placement.

Just to be clear … I'm pretty sure I've got the right Tua … and the Right Alabama … though I hear Tua's little brother is around there too. And yeah, Tua does throw behind crossers … did it last week in fact. Not saying he was so far behind the WR couldn't adjust … but it was behind none-the-less. Remember, I specifically stated his ball placement is 6-12" off about a third of the time … and he might improve that by the end of the year … but right now, it's an area on which he will undoubtedly be working.
I like Fromm so not trying to bash him. However, since the statement has been made he is more accurate than Tua I'm comparing him to that high standard.

I've had the ND / Georgia game on in the background, but started to pay closer attention since responding so watched about 12 or so throws which I'm commenting on.

Fromm made some excellent throws...nice out to Robertson (?) who went down after he caught it, couple of back shoulder throws were terrific to Cager, incomplete to Simmons (?) in back of endzone throwing off balance was NFL quality, TD to Cager a nice pass and catch, threw a dart to player over the middle for about a 12-15 yard gain.

Some of the off target throws or poor ball placement comparatively...didn't see who the WR was but saw Fromm bounce a ball at the feet of a player open about 20 yards past LOS, threw a pass to Cager on a slant 5 yards past LOS had to sit down as ball was thrown off target, Cager who is 6'5" had to go up about 2 feet and reach up to grab a pass 10 yards past LOS (penalty on a lineman who blocked past LOS or something along those lines), threw a ball to the right side of endzone before Cager TD grab the announcer called a 50/50 ball that was well underthrown for a true 50/50 but DBs face-guard rather than turn around. Highlight just showed a completion to TE who had to reach over his head and was sandwiched between two defenders upon making the catch.

From what I saw on those throws Tua's ball placement is consistently more accurate than Fromm's as Tua's ball placement is spot on hitting speedy WR in stride on the numbers without them having to adjust their body often and Fromm seems to rely more on a 6'5" WR to go up in the air to get the ball which Cager appears to be very good at adjusting his body to make those plays. Reminds me more of Lawrence throwing to Higgins except Fromm relies on more back shoulder throws where Lawrence just throws it high.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom