MERGED: Jeff Ireland involved in verbal altercation with fan on Sunday | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Jeff Ireland involved in verbal altercation with fan on Sunday

It was Dolphins7273

29c1l4o-1.jpg

Nah, I would have just shoved him down a flight of stairs. He has to get up from his seat sometime.

Just because you are a "customer", it doesn't give you the right to get in the face of an employee, insult them and tell him to "Fire yourself". If I was Ireland, I would tell this "customer" to shop elsewhere and get off my property. Whether Ireland called him an a-hole to his face or said it under his breath as he walked away(which is what is being reported), he still probably shouldn't have said it. Would have been better to just turn around and walk away from the situation. Still though, this doesn't give the "customer" a free pass to get in the face and yell obscenities and insults of his own at Ireland. I work with customers also in my job and if one got in my face and told me how horrible I was and that I should "fire myself" I don't think anyone I work with or any of my other customers would care if I muttered a-hole under my breath as I walked away. The fan was a douchebag, it wasn't like what Ireland said was not true.

This is pretty much what I said anyway. I said the Fan was being classless, but he is afterall just a lowly fan. Ireland is towards the top of the organization and needs to act professional. He obviously didn't just "mutter it under his breath" either because like CK said if he did nobody in that noisy crowd would have heard him. Was the fan wrong? Yes! But should Ireland have handled it differently? Absolutely. I don't care what the circumstances are, calling a customer an ******* just seems unprofesional and would get you fired at a lot of places.

Please, this is so lightweight. Ireland shouldn't even had to react. I've seen fans do/said worst than this. Ridiculous that it's even a story and even more ridiculous that Ireland gave it attention.

Do you think that is all the fan said? Honestly? If he's telling the story of course all he said was fire yourself but in reality I guarantee it was worse as it always is. The fan makes himself look good and Ireland look worse. I bet it closer than the middle.

This is pretty much what I said anyway. I said the Fan was being classless, but he is afterall just a lowly fan. Ireland is towards the top of the organization and needs to act professional. He obviously didn't just "mutter it under his breath" either because like CK said if he did nobody in that noisy crowd would have heard him. Was the fan wrong? Yes! But should Ireland have handled it differently? Absolutely. I don't care what the circumstances are, calling a customer an ******* just seems unprofesional and would get you fired at a lot of places.

Yep. I run a business and thankfully its doing well but if it was struggling, it had a bad reputation and i was desperate for customers, that if a customer came into one of my stores and called an employee incompetant and that employee fired back at that customer, that employee would be fired as quick as i could

Im also not advocating penalizing Ireland for this event besides the public apology. He did something dumb, apologized for it and thats the end of the matter for me. I just find it amusing how alot of the same cast of characters rush to protect him since he can never do no wrong

This reminds me of elementary school. Some kid teases the big kid mercilessly until he gets tired of it and gets punched, then runs and cries to the teacher and plays the victim. It's about as mature as that.

Here is a novel concept. Why not treat others with respect? I have some colleagues that I think are useless human beings and are simply holding a job that someone else would have better use for. That doesn't mean I'm going to disrespect them, ever. I feel like the fan base has dehumanized Ireland. They forget this is a real person, with a family and the same emotions everyone else has. I'm surprised he only called the fan an *******, considering how much he has probably heard in the past 2 seasons. The guy has to be reaching his breaking point. People need to step back and realize that they are talking about a real person here, not some robot. Personally, I'm glad he called the guy an *******. If you verbally harass an employee when going shopping, you get removed from the store and banned from coming back. This "customer" gets a public apology? That's some bullsh*t...

Ireland expresses regret for verbal altercation with fan

The Miami Dolphins have acknowledged that G.M. Jeff Ireland had a verbal altercation with a fan at Sunday’s game against the Raiders.
As explained by Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, a fan told Ireland he should fire himself. Ireland responded by using the term “*******.”
Ireland has confirmed the incident in a statement released by the team.
“It did happen at halftime and I was going back to my booth after seeing my wife and I did talk to several fans that were very nice,” Ireland said. “But as I’m walking back this guy introduces himself to me and says I should fire myself.
“It caught me off guard. I just turned and walked away but I did say the word. I regret I used the word I used. I thought I was using it under my breath. I guess I kind of said it loud enough that he could hear it. I literally said it under my breath. At the time I felt I handled the situation pretty good. Probably muttered it a little too loud. I regret that I said anything.”
In 2008, former Browns G.M. Phil Savage dropped an “F” bomb on a fan who heckled Savage via email. Although this one wasn’t nearly as bad, it could serve to make Ireland’s reportedly hot seat even hotter.
After all, at a time when the Dolphins are desperate to get people to show up for games, those who do should be given wide latitude when it comes to expressing their views about the quality of the product they’re paying to see.
per pft

Yep. I run a business and thankfully its doing well but if it was struggling, it had a bad reputation and i was desperate for customers, that if a customer came into one of my stores and called an employee incompetant and that employee fired back at that customer, that employee would be fired as quick as i could

Im also not advocating penalizing Ireland for this event besides the public apology. He did something dumb, apologized for it and thats the end of the matter for me. I just find it amusing how the same cast of characters rush to protect him since he can never do no wrong

Yeah OK. Your business is comparable to a billion dollar organization. :rolleyes2:

i would have called the guy an ******* too, but he needs to be a professional. atleat he was honest

This reminds me of elementary school. Some kid teases the big kid mercilessly until he gets tired of it and gets punched, then runs and cries to the teacher and plays the victim. It's about as mature as that.

Here is a novel concept. Why not treat others with respect? I have some colleagues that I think are useless human beings and are simply holding a job that someone else would have better use for. That doesn't mean I'm going to disrespect them, ever. I feel like the fan base has dehumanized Ireland. They forget this is a real person, with a family and the same emotions everyone else has. I'm surprised he only called the fan an *******, considering how much he has probably heard in the past 2 seasons. The guy has to be reaching his breaking point. People need to step back and realize that they are talking about a real person here, not some robot. Personally, I'm glad he called the guy an *******. If you verbally harass an employee when going shopping, you get removed from the store and banned from coming back. This "customer" gets a public apology? That's some bullsh*t...

you make it sound like Ireland is the only person in his business who got a scolding from a fan. This is sports where beratement is common place and should be expected.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Yeah OK. Your business is comparable to a billion dollar organization. :rolleyes2:

no...but its in the tens of millions. either way i have no idea what your point is

kuddos to ireland! im even more sure he is the right man for the job! how much you wanna bet the "fan" is a regular poster on this forum!

Back
Top Bottom