(Merged xA LOT) The Official You gotta Suck to get Luck Superthread | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(Merged xA LOT) The Official You gotta Suck to get Luck Superthread

Play for Pride or Suck for Luck ?

• Play for Pride

Votes: 39 16.9%
  • Suck for Luck

Votes: 192 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Further expounding on the strong likelihood that Oliver Luck, who's nobody's fool and smarter than most, will be pulling the strings in this process, I think this is what he'd want to see:

1. A visionary FO in place committed to drafting and signing the players who will be instrumental in Andrew's success

2. A strong, experienced head coach who knows how to handle and develop rookie phenoms. IMO that's Cowher in spades. Unlike the other 2 named HCs, he's the only one who left on top of his game and on his own terms. He did a great job developing a raw Big Ben all the way to the SB in his rookie year. I could definitely see Oliver signing off on him. Fisher might score points too, although his last few years haven't been terrific, but he did tranform a raw Air McNair into a SB caliber QB. The old Houston Oilers connection probably is helpful too. Gruden, I don't think Mr Luck would be jumping up and down over. REmember, he was under center for Houston and understands the player coaches dynamics. When Gruden left, players came out from behind the woodwork throwing him under the bus with Simeon Rice going so far as to call him a "scumbag." Perceived weak interpersonal skills along with (to the best of my knowledge) this self-anointed QB guru, never did develop a young one throughout his career.

3. Ownership: Ross needs to sit down with Oliver and assure him that whomever he entrusts the franchise to, he will not interfere or intercede and that includes opening his checkbook when they deem it necessary. Ross already has a poor reputation as a coach backstabber and somewhat clueless and it will take a large assurance of his new people's autonomy for Luck's dad to feel better about him as compared to a Bill Polian, the Irsays, Pat Bowlen/John Elway to name a few with more built in confidence levels.

4.Beyond that, the HC needs to hire a QB coach who is capable of working with Andrew, not someone like a recycled receivers coach or a wildcat innovator. There will be no Peyton here to mentor him, Elway to guide him or Harbaugh to work with him Alex Smith style, so it's critical that no expense be spared, or rocks unturned to hire the most qualified QB mentor available.

You can say that if we hold the no. 1 pick, which I personally don't think we'll end up with, we have all the leverage. In a respect that's true in that we should and would draft Luck and either end up with him or Barkley or Jones and another 1st rounder or 2. I think everyone would prefer Andrew and if that's the case, it's the Luck family and their representative who have the leverage. Obviously money is not an issue, the days of unbelievable wealth upon sighning are over and it made Andrew's mom happy for him to stay in Stanford to earn his degree so I'm sure she wouldn't mind him pursuing his Masters either in that fine bastion of learning.

Curtis Painter gifted the jest entry into the 09 playoffs; he sucks and IMO, he's starting for a reason. My hope is that he does catch fire so if (big condition) we find ourselves in the first draft spot, the Colts are far enough back that it would be impossible to offer us a trade without completely emptying the cupboards. I mean after all, wouldn't you want your son learning at Peyton's feet in an organization run by one of the most respected GMs in the business? For any dad, that's a no brainer.

I'll say again, anyone who doesn't think Oliver will be calling the shots, just check out his track record of business, sports and academic exccellences. He's a type A achiever, and they don't sit in the background, especially considering how well connected and respected he is the NFL community.

You seem to think that Manning would be mentoring Luck in Indy. If Manning is still there, then Luck would likely be sitting behind Manning for another 4 years. Do you think his family would want him to waste so much time on the bench?

Seems a little premature to be asking this don't you think?

We don't have Luck yet, we don't know how Moore will play, we don't know who the coach will be, who the GM will be, etc, etc.

He stays property of the team that drafted forever, unless a deal with another team can be worked out.

To the contrary, it's my understanding speaking to ted slimm jr here who knows about this stuff as well as through some google searches that he stays the property of that team for the year until the next draft into which he's reinserted. However, could not determine whether an inability to sign a choice results in a compensatory pick or not.

For all intents and purposes, Andrew could go get his Masters and take his chances going through the same process in 2013.

You seem to think that Manning would be mentoring Luck in Indy. If Manning is still there, then Luck would likely be sitting behind Manning for another 4 years. Do you think his family would want him to waste so much time on the bench?

Point taken although Aaron Rodgers is a very forceful counter-argument to that. Would you prefer your son to sit behind an all world qb or start under the watchful eye of Elway, one of the greatest? I might prefer the latter it's true. But if given the choice of being thrown in to a brand new organization with no mentor, my mind goes right to David Carr and Archie Manning. So again, it depends who we have in place. (hint Todd Bowles or David Lee won't cut it)

What if Luck sucks?

its a hypothetical with if the other Qbs could be better than lUck
like landry jones who is not a softie and threw for over 48 touchdowns..
[h=2]Tyler Wilson, Arkansas allready breaking ryan mallets records for most yards in a game..
[/h]
I think luck is better yes
though for a team that has more putrid holes than rex ryans wife
if we trade luck and get another teams whole draft
all while still being able to select lanrdy jones.

I think it should be considered.

lets face it luck would get injured behind this offensive line
Unless the dolphins future front office could address the whole line in the next offseason
Big if especially if the current goonies are in charge..

i guess we will have a pretty high pick in this years draft and yes i do want Luck but i would like to win a couple games this year though

No QB is going to succeed without the proper coaching staff to develop him. So yes, Luck may suck. But if Luck ends up sucking, I'd bet most any other QB in that draft would as well - he gives you the best starting material. Everything after that is up to the team that selects him, his environment, scheme, etc.

honestly with andrew luck you don't need some qb guru qbs coach or mentor...you get out of the way and let the kid do his thing...same thing in indy with manning and new england with brady...get out of their way...you meddle too much with guys like that you just screw things up

hell no...you start andrew luck from week 1...he's ready

if you draft a matt barkley that might be the guy you give a few weeks to learn the ropes before you throw him to the wolves...something tells me he won't be ready week 1 to take over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom