(Merged xA LOT) The Official You gotta Suck to get Luck Superthread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(Merged xA LOT) The Official You gotta Suck to get Luck Superthread

Play for Pride or Suck for Luck ?

• Play for Pride

Votes: 39 16.9%
  • Suck for Luck

Votes: 192 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but as an underclassman Luck would be declaring for the draft well after the draft order was set. It's like a week or two after the super bowl when they have to declare...he could even declare before the playoffs and we'd already know who would have the #1 pick. With that said, if Luck were to declare that would mean he's perfectly fine with going to the team who has that #1 pick or he would just go back to Stanford for another year and get his masters.

harbaugh's family likes the bay area. that's the main reason he was never going to come here.
Yup. If Ross threw 7 million at Gruden after he failed to land Harbaugh, then Harbaugh turned him down because he wanted to stay in the Bay Area, period. The 49ers ownership does NOT have the cash to match what Ross was slinging around.

The only way Luck would resist coming here is if we stick with any remnant of this failed regime. Jeff "Is your mom a whore?" Ireland can probably alienate just about anyone. If we have a Gruden, Cowher, Fisher adding credibility to the franchise then this is still one of the most desirable cities in the country for athletes.

screw mike and mike two bone heads dolphins will finally get some luck not the colts peyton will be back this season win a few games...

Miami isn't some hellhole where players dont want to play. Luck will gladly come to Miami. Face it, ANY team that lands the #1 overall pick will have serious issues, so would Luck refuse to play for all of them? No. Even as bad as this team is this year, they are not devoid of talent.

A stud LT. A young up and coming RB. Some good WRs. Solid young Center. There are some pieces here on offense. In fact, if Luck came in as advertised, I wouldnt be surprised to see an instant turnaround like in Atlanta and Baltimore.

Completely agree. Plus, we'll most likely have a new(great?) coaching staff to go with all of that.

good point if you are considered the next peyton, wouldn't want to be coached by peyton, instead of what we got down here

Further expounding on the strong likelihood that Oliver Luck, who's nobody's fool and smarter than most, will be pulling the strings in this process, I think this is what he'd want to see:

1. A visionary FO in place committed to drafting and signing the players who will be instrumental in Andrew's success

2. A strong, experienced head coach who knows how to handle and develop rookie phenoms. IMO that's Cowher in spades. Unlike the other 2 named HCs, he's the only one who left on top of his game and on his own terms. He did a great job developing a raw Big Ben all the way to the SB in his rookie year. I could definitely see Oliver signing off on him. Fisher might score points too, although his last few years haven't been terrific, but he did tranform a raw Air McNair into a SB caliber QB. The old Houston Oilers connection probably is helpful too. Gruden, I don't think Mr Luck would be jumping up and down over. REmember, he was under center for Houston and understands the player coaches dynamics. When Gruden left, players came out from behind the woodwork throwing him under the bus with Simeon Rice going so far as to call him a "scumbag." Perceived weak interpersonal skills along with (to the best of my knowledge) this self-anointed QB guru, never did develop a young one throughout his career.

3. Ownership: Ross needs to sit down with Oliver and assure him that whomever he entrusts the franchise to, he will not interfere or intercede and that includes opening his checkbook when they deem it necessary. Ross already has a poor reputation as a coach backstabber and somewhat clueless and it will take a large assurance of his new people's autonomy for Luck's dad to feel better about him as compared to a Bill Polian, the Irsays, Pat Bowlen/John Elway to name a few with more built in confidence levels.

4.Beyond that, the HC needs to hire a QB coach who is capable of working with Andrew, not someone like a recycled receivers coach or a wildcat innovator. There will be no Peyton here to mentor him, Elway to guide him or Harbaugh to work with him Alex Smith style, so it's critical that no expense be spared, or rocks unturned to hire the most qualified QB mentor available.

You can say that if we hold the no. 1 pick, which I personally don't think we'll end up with, we have all the leverage. In a respect that's true in that we should and would draft Luck and either end up with him or Barkley or Jones and another 1st rounder or 2. I think everyone would prefer Andrew and if that's the case, it's the Luck family and their representative who have the leverage. Obviously money is not an issue, the days of unbelievable wealth upon sighning are over and it made Andrew's mom happy for him to stay in Stanford to earn his degree so I'm sure she wouldn't mind him pursuing his Masters either in that fine bastion of learning.

Curtis Painter gifted the jest entry into the 09 playoffs; he sucks and IMO, he's starting for a reason. My hope is that he does catch fire so if (big condition) we find ourselves in the first draft spot, the Colts are far enough back that it would be impossible to offer us a trade without completely emptying the cupboards. I mean after all, wouldn't you want your son learning at Peyton's feet in an organization run by one of the most respected GMs in the business? For any dad, that's a no brainer.

I'll say again, anyone who doesn't think Oliver will be calling the shots, just check out his track record of business, sports and academic exccellences. He's a type A achiever, and they don't sit in the background, especially considering how well connected and respected he is the NFL community.

Dolphins only winless team chasing Luck?

But if you look deeper, Miami's biggest competition may not be competition at all. Miami is one of four winless teams. The other three have some level of stability at quarterback.

Count the St Louis Rams (0-4) out of the "Luck Sweepstakes." The Rams just drafted franchise quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 overall pick in 2010. St. Louis signed Bradford to a contract worth a maximum of $86 million and is sticking with him, regardless if it lands the top pick.

The Indianapolis Colts (0-4) are in the race because of the neck injury to Peyton Manning. But the Colts expect Manning to return. Otherwise, they would not have reached a five-year extension reportedly worth up to $90 million. Yes, Indianapolis could draft Luck No. 1 overall. But it wouldn't be a wise use of resources. Luck could rot on the bench behind Manning for the next 3-4 years once Manning is healthy.

The Minnesota Vikings (0-4) are the trickiest of the group. Minnesota signed struggling veteran Donovan McNabb in the offseason. He probably won't be on the team next year. But the Vikings also are high on 2011 first-round pick Christian Ponder. Many felt Minnesota reached on Ponder by taking him No. 12 overall. The Vikings disagree. But that theory could be tested if they're eligible to draft Luck, who is viewed as one of the top quarterback prospects in years. Would Minnesota draft first-round quarterbacks in back-to-back years? Or would they stick with Ponder over Luck?

This all opens the door for the Dolphins. Other one-win teams like Seattle (1-3), Denver (1-3) and Kansas City (1-3) are competition, as well. But Miami has the inside track. The Dolphins are playing the rest of the year with a backup quarterback (Matt Moore) and a coach (Tony Sparano) on the hot seat.
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/32383/dolphins-only-winless-team-chasing-luck

Minnesota and Indy would both take Luck. They would be stupid not to.

That article is misguided. The Rams would definitely take Luck with the #1 pick since Sam "5 yards per attempt and 49 competion percentage" Bradford isn't very good and I don't think their organization wants to be stuck with a mediocre quarterback. Vikings will see what they have in Ponder soon enough, and Peyton is 35 years old with serious health issues. The Colts would take him, period.

Before someone comes in here and tells me how good Bradford is, go look for Sam Bradford highlights. Watch some Rams games (I've watched a bunch as I had Sunday Ticket). Look at his numbers. No talent around him? Watch him play. He's not good.

That article is misguided. The Rams would definitely take Luck with the #1 pick since Sam "5 yards per attempt and 49 competion percentage" Bradford isn't very good and I don't think their organization wants to be stuck with a mediocre quarterback. Vikings will see what they have in Ponder soon enough, and Peyton is 35 years old with serious health issues. The Colts would take him, period.

Before someone comes in here and tells me how good Bradford is, go look for Sam Bradford highlights. Watch some Rams games (I've watched a bunch as I had Sunday Ticket). Look at his numbers. No talent around him? Watch him play. He's not good.
quick other than tebow name how many teams have given up on a first round QB in less than two full years? the rams WILL NOT draft luck if they have the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom