(Merged xA LOT) The Official You gotta Suck to get Luck Superthread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(Merged xA LOT) The Official You gotta Suck to get Luck Superthread

Play for Pride or Suck for Luck ?

• Play for Pride

Votes: 39 16.9%
  • Suck for Luck

Votes: 192 83.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, your argument is based off 2 videos doing things he won't need to do in the NFL......
He is a fantastic athlete, but how is he going to "turn this team around" tackling defenders and making sideline catches?

I'd like a real QB who doesn't tackle and catch passes (Tebow ish) like say a Dan Marino.
The fact he's a good athlete is ok but not essential to us.
Do you really want our frantcise guy making down field tackles ?

Miami isn't some hellhole where players dont want to play. Luck will gladly come to Miami. Face it, ANY team that lands the #1 overall pick will have serious issues, so would Luck refuse to play for all of them? No. Even as bad as this team is this year, they are not devoid of talent.

A stud LT. A young up and coming RB. Some good WRs. Solid young Center. There are some pieces here on offense. In fact, if Luck came in as advertised, I wouldnt be surprised to see an instant turnaround like in Atlanta and Baltimore.

People are missing the point: I don't know how many of them are dads, but if they are, giving a chit what everyone else thinks is secondary to well positioning their sons for success.

Stafford and Bradford's dads were pedestrian as far as I know. John Elway's dad was a life long HC who coached him at Stanford, so he wasn't exactly clueless. Of course we all know about Archie Manning, and his reach. Out of U of Ms, he was a more heralded QB than Eli, but ended up squandering his career as the only bright spot on a rudderless, clueless Saints team. You don't think that actually living thru such suckage coupled with Dean Spanos's reputation from what Archie learned as an insider didn't have a lot to do with his power play?

Oliver Luck makes Archie look like an outsider by comparison. This guy is brilliant (literally) and most everything he's touched inside and outside the NFL has turned to gold. The only exception being something like 2-14 as a starter for the old Houston Oilers. What does that tell you about his motivation for getting it right with Andrew? Hell, I'd probably trust installing him as our GM over Ireland, here and now.

Here's a recap of Oliver's impressive accomplishments, including a law degree and practicing it internationally. He makes Archie Manning look clueless and an outsider by comparison. Again, anyone who has a child will care less about short term public opinion (the negatives always have a away of fading with success) than his son's well-being..

Maybe the smart thing to do is offer him the GM job or allow him to pick the GM and HC contingent on us drafting Andrew. Believe me, as a dad myself, although a "nobody" I'd not entrust my son's future to a rudderless owner who embarrassed his HC and bungled trying to upgrade by hiring his son's if I can help it.

Now if we have the first pick, we definitely draft him.. but if we wanna keep him, it would be naive of any pie in the skyers, especially those without children to think Oliver will not be pulling the strings as did Archie and Jack Elway!

Oliver Luck (aka "dad")

Overview

WVU Athletic Director, graduate, broke several passer records, madna cum laude graduate, Rhodes scholarship finalist, 2 time Academic All American, Phi Beta Kappa. Elected to Academic All American Hall of Fame

Second round Houston OIlers draft pick and starter until unseated by Warren Moon

Law Degree earned From UTx, practiced several years in Germany

President/GM of Houston Dynamo winning 2 MLS cups under his watch

10 year employee of the NFL, including GM of German team and then President/CEO of NFL Europe

Unsuccessful WV Republican Nominee for Congress; appointed by WV Governor to University Board of Governors

CEO of Houston Sports Authority with oversight authority over major sports venues including Rockets and Astros

athletic director of West Virginia University, his alma mater

retired American football player who spent four seasons in the National Football League (NFL) as a quarterback for the Houston Oilers (1983–1986)

first president and general manager of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer (MLS). Under his watch, the Dynamo won the MLS Cup in 2006 and 2007.

At WVU, Luck, who was a three-year starter, ended his career with school records of 43 career touchdown passes, 466 completions, and 911 pass attempts. His 5,765 career passing yards currently ranks fourth on the all-time school list. Luck still ranks in the top ten in nearly every career passing category.

Oliver Luck was also a finalist to be a Rhodes Scholar (but he did not obtain the scholarship), a National Football Foundation Scholar and a two-time GTE/CoSIDA Academic All-American who graduated magna cum laude from WVU in 1982. He was named the team MVP in 1980 and 1981 and won the 1981 Louis D. Meisel Award. He is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

selected with the 17th pick of the second round (44th overall) in the 1982 NFL Draft by the Houston Oilers. He was the third quarterback selected,

In his second season, the Oilers inserted him at the starting quarterback position, from which he threw eight touchdowns and 13 interceptions, completing 124 of 217 pass attempts. He threw for only 1,375 yards,[2] as the Oilers struggled to a 2–14 record.[3]

In 1984, the Oilers signed Canadian Football League star Warren Moon. Oliver Luck played as Moon's back-up for the majority of the season.

after retiring from football, Luck received a J.D. from the University of Texas, graduating in 1987 with honors,[4] and he practiced law in Germany. In 1990 he was the Republican nominee for Congress from West Virginia's Second Congressional District, which included his alma mater West Virginia University, but he was defeated by incumbent Democrat Harley Staggers, Jr.

In 1991, he became general manager of the Frankfurt Galaxy of the fledgling World League of American Football. He held the post for two years until the league was suspended. Upon its resumption in 1995 he became GM of the Rhein Fire, and was named league president the following year. Luck held that role until 2000, during which time he oversaw the league's rebranding as NFL Europe, intended to strengthen the connection between the league and its parent, the NFL.

n 2001, Luck was sworn in as Chief Executive Officer of the Houston Sports Authority. In this role he oversaw the operations of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, the governmental entity created in 1997 to provide the financing, construction and management oversight of the three large sports and entertainment venues in Houston: Minute Maid Park (home of the Houston Astros), Reliant Stadium, (home of the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo), and the new Downtown multi-purpose arena (home of the Houston Rockets and Comets).[citation needed]

Prior to joining the Sports Authority, Luck was a top-ranking executive with the National Football League for over ten years, where he served as Vice President of Business Development and President and CEO of NFL Europe.

Luck was recently named to the Academic All American Hall of Fame.[4

In 2005, he was named president of the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer. On June 27, 2008, Luck was appointed by West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin to the West Virginia University Board of Governors, effective July 1.[4]

On June 9, 2010 Luck was hired as the Athletic Director of West Virginia University.

Luck is ourssss. Stop these threads! 0-16!

People are missing the point: I don't know how many of them are dads, but if they are, giving a chit what everyone else thinks is secondary to well positioning their sons for success.

Stafford and Bradford's dads were pedestrian as far as I know. John Elway's dad was a life long HC who coached him at Stanford, so he wasn't exactly clueless. Of course we all know about Archie Manning, and his reach. Out of U of Ms, he was a more heralded QB than Eli, but ended up squandering his career as the only bright spot on a rudderless, clueless Saints team. You don't think that actually living thru such suckage coupled with Dean Spanos's reputation from what Archie learned as an insider didn't have a lot to do with his power play?

Oliver Luck makes Archie look like an outsider by comparison. This guy is brilliant (literally) and most everything he's touched inside and outside the NFL has turned to gold. The only exception being something like 2-14 as a starter for the old Houston Oilers. What does that tell you about his motivation for getting it right with Andrew? Hell, I'd probably trust installing him as our GM over Ireland, here and now.

Here's a recap of Oliver's impressive accomplishments, including a law degree and practicing it internationally. He makes Archie Manning look clueless and an outsider by comparison. Again, anyone who has a child will care less about short term public opinion (the negatives always have a away of fading with success) than his son's well-being..

Maybe the smart thing to do is offer him the GM job or allow him to pick the GM and HC contingent on us drafting Andrew. Believe me, as a dad myself, although a "nobody" I'd not entrust my son's future to a rudderless owner who embarrassed his HC and bungled trying to upgrade by hiring his son's if I can help it.

Now if we have the first pick, we definitely draft him.. but if we wanna keep him, it would be naive of any pie in the skyers, especially those without children to think Oliver will not be pulling the strings as did Archie and Jack Elway!

Wow, I didn't know that about his dad. Interesting. It will be important to have a guy like Cowher or Gruden in place then. They have the track record that would set him at ease a bit.

In reality, why wouldnt he want to play for Miami. There's a solid recieving core (minus Marshall's drops), a great check down in Bush, and a rookie running back that has shown promise. If we could get Luck and draft a couple solid O-lineman, we would be contenders in the division. Our defensive play wouldnt matter.......just like the Pats. Throw in a new coach, Bill Cowher for example, and Luck would have instant success like Matt Ryan.

And who wouldnt want to be living in S. FL!! Have you ever been to Indianapolis.........its a dump.

Well said. His father is definitely going to play a significant role, but even if he didn't, Andrew is no mental midget himself. Any team that is in line to grab him is going to need to sell themselves and provide the best opportunity. The only way Miami could hurt their chances is if Ross botches the hiring of the next staff...which of course is a possibility. But if we grab someone like Cowher, Gruden, Fisher, etc.; Miami is one hell of a place to make a mark with the shadow of the previous franchise QB in the past by a few years.

speaking of eli god is he overrated...he gets away with more crap throws and decisions than anyone i've seen in a while...well maybe kyle orton in 2010 off the game tape i saw of his...but eli manning god is he overrated

Restrosepctively, Rivers is a better QB. San Diego definitiely got the better end of that deal.

The point of this thread is moot. If Miami finishes with the worst record in the league and lands the #1 pick, every qualified candidate will line up at the shot to to be in a position to draft the best QB prospect since Manning. Surely, Luck will be tickled at the idea of playing for Cowher, Gruden, or Fisher.

Oliver Luck for HC and Andrew Luck as our QB there i said it get on it Ross!:hump::hclap:

It really comes down to who the Head Coach is going to be. An impressive hard nose (or chin!!!) HC can easily dismiss any notion of a player (draftee or free agent) bypassing the Dolphins next year.

harbaugh's family likes the bay area. that's the main reason he was never going to come here.

Greenturd is getting scared that there is a realistic chance that Andrew Luck comes to Miami. :)

And even though this season has been a diaster so far (and should only get worse). I'm still hopeful that it will get better if we get a Bill Cowher & Luck combo.

I think you are worrying too much about something that won't happen.

I'm not seriously worrying about it. I should have said it's the most realistic reason why Luck would ever block coming here. I don't think he would do that, and if we're in position to draft him we obviously will and I think he'll come to Miami and be great. I just find it more realistic than other theories as to why he wouldn't go to Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom