Miami Dolphins will regret trusting wallet, not eyes, on Jarvis Landry | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins will regret trusting wallet, not eyes, on Jarvis Landry

What irks me is everyone trying to pin the sins of the past with Gase. I think Gase knows Landry’s passion and commitment is special but his numbers just aren’t other worldly and can be replicated. Do you really give a WR who didn’t even break 1,000 yards in an era of passing a record breaking contract? The offense wasn’t flying high and mighty with him in the equation. So why not try another equation?
Name a player to replicate Landry. 400 catches, 1000 yards every season, Landry has forced 48 missed tackles on pass plays -- most of any AFC receiver last 2 years. 8.8 yards a catch is due to a poor system last year. So who can just step in and produce that? Just pay him 12 mil a year and let's get things rolling. This offence in trouble. We would need HB, TE , and Guard. A WR if he walks.

Name a player to replicate Landry. 400 catches, 1000 yards every season, Landry has forced 48 missed tackles on pass plays -- most of any AFC receiver last 2 years. 8.8 yards a catch is due to a poor system last year. So who can just step in and produce that? Just pay him 12 mil a year and let's get things rolling. This offence in trouble. We would need HB, TE , and Guard. A WR if he walks.

Lots of receivers average more than 1000 yards a season. Saying he’s had 400 catches means nothing. I’d rather have a receiver get 4000 yards on 275 catches rather than 400. Who cares about tackles broken. A yard is a yard and his ypc is low. Youre desperately searching for any stat now.

He wants AB money and he isn’t in AB’s league. Add in the fact AB just took his salary as a signing bonus to help his team instead of trying to rake them over the coals like Jarvis. Jarvis is getting on my nerves honestly. I was a huge fan but I’m waning.

He wants AB money and he isn’t in AB’s league. Add in the fact AB just took his salary as a signing bonus to help his team instead of trying to rake them over the coals like Jarvis. Jarvis is getting on my nerves honestly. I was a huge fan but I’m waning.

Antonio Brown's extension was 4 years 68 million. That's 17 million a year. You are misinformed.

And I'm pretty sure Jarvis would agree to a restructure in the same circumstance, as he would be losing zero dollars in the process.

Only if we have learned from those mistakes.

You taking bets that we have?

I know what I am getting from Juice, if I am overpaying for him, if I am paying Cam Wake near 9 million to likely play less than 50% of the snaps this year . . . It is because I know what I am getting.

So....using your exact same logic.....do you agree with the Suh contract?

I think what people are failing to realize is we have limited cap space. We were 6-10 last year with Landry having 112 catches and not even breaking 1000 yards. This and his 9 TDs are not hard to replace. I love Landry, one of my all time favorite Dolphins but the needs to address the other huge issues on this team FAR exceeds the need to overpay a very good but not great receiver. If we overpay Landry, it limits fixing the other issues we have and we are in the exact same boat as last year!

So....using your exact same logic.....do you agree with the Suh contract?

The All Pro UFA, likely hall of famer, hasn’t missed a game since 2011 Suh?

Of course I don’t mind that move.

The contract was fine . . . What wasn’t fine was restructuring the contract to give us “blow it” money for the dumb contracts we signed last season.

I'm not mad the Dolphins won't budge off of $13m they offered to pay Landry. It's a more than fair number, other teams have reportedly valued him in the $10m range.

I'm more upset that we even allow these situations to get to this point. The resentment, the inability to foresee a need to offer an extension in advance. We could have signed him for the $13m per year we are offering him now, and that's where the issue lies.

We could have? Link?

Lots of receivers average more than 1000 yards a season. Saying he’s had 400 catches means nothing. I’d rather have a receiver get 4000 yards on 275 catches rather than 400. Who cares about tackles broken. A yard is a yard and his ypc is low. Youre desperately searching for any stat now.

Landry's stats are useful because they show him for what he is -- a glorified running back. That's how we use him and why his YPC is so low.

And what are running backs worth?

Exactly.

If we're going to resign him it's because that's the way Gase thinks things should be. Don't run the ball. Throw the ball short instead. Throw it every play. And it's actually part of the problem -- your #1 receiver is supposed to make the safeties play farther back, not come closer to the LOS. Teams are willing to eat the occasional long ball to Kenny Stills because they're occasional and have to be orchestrated. The rest of the time they can play us short and suffocate us into even more nickel and diming.

No he wants top 5 hit the market money

And thats the part that keeps getting overlooked here. Guys get paid top 5 money who aren’t top 5 as free agents on a yearly basis

2 years from now juices money will look like a bargain just like the qbs money does now relative to what guys are signing for

We could have? Link?

Should I have added an *opinion* caveat in my post?

Considering Landry would have not had to play a 5th year on his rookie contract and would have actually made about what he’s asking for now when looking at the payout over life of contract versus an extra year for peanuts, yea I think we could have signed him to a $13m extension last year.

We got a 5th year on the cheap for someone who really didn’t need a 5th year to show us who he is. Waste.

Landry's stats are useful because they show him for what he is -- a glorified running back. That's how we use him and why his YPC is so low.

And what are running backs worth?

Exactly.

If we're going to resign him it's because that's the way Gase thinks things should be. Don't run the ball. Throw the ball short instead. Throw it every play. And it's actually part of the problem -- your #1 receiver is supposed to make the safeties play farther back, not come closer to the LOS. Teams are willing to eat the occasional long ball to Kenny Stills because they're occasional and have to be orchestrated. The rest of the time they can play us short and suffocate us into even more nickel and diming.

I agree. When I said certain stats mean nothing I meant in terms of trying to use them to try to compliment Landry. 400 catches to gain 4000 yards isn't a plus in my book.

I think many fans forgot what it's like to have a true stud receiver who gets 1400 yards and makes defensive backs live in fear of getting beat deep. We haven't had one since the marks brothers.

Back
Top Bottom