OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OFFENSIVE LINE IS OUR #1 WEAKNESS

My point is that normally players who are expected to take time to develop are not selected in the first round. That round is suppose to be for players who can step in and start immediately.

Jackson didn’t play that bad before being injured but either he wasn’t fully recovered when he came back from his injury or his play just dropped off over the latter part of the season.

I am not saying that Jackson or Iggy will turn out to be below average players in the NFL. I just have higher expectations for players drafted in the first round than in later rounds. Hopefully both of them and Tua will all play at a much higher level in 2021 than they did last year.
He was not a top 10 pick. He was pick #18 which does change expectations. As for your criteria:
  • He did start and step in immediately — check
  • As you stated, he did not play poorly — check
I agree that he was not dominant like some 1st round picks, but #18 should be a very different expectation than where Jake Long was picked.

Potentially they CAN be very good. Last year showed talent but not near enough in reality compared with the quality NFL OL players.

3-4 weeks could be to late. Why go into the season waiting to find out when we had the power and ammo to make it more solid ......... Head scratching....and then what do we do (see 4-5 season ago realize 4 gms in and had no way to improve at that point)

Ya basing a much improved team with playoff and even SB expectations from a line not established....

" Not established " your words and shown inconsistency last season, my words. I agree but see more concern than closing my eyes on why they are still not established and seeing just as reasonable the jump not happening enough than those thinking its an easy given...Its NOT

QB RB WR all critically tied to the play of the OL..... yet FH doesn't even see a potential BIG Problem///

They will just blame Tua with OL cluelessness.................
So you're basing one standard on hopes, but complaining about basing another standard on hopes. There is only HOPE that we make the SB or playoffs, there is NOTHING that proves it can and will happen.

From the OTA rumour mill, Davis is starting, and Dieter is given a chance to challenge. Kindley lost the starting position.
Flores isn’t the kind of coach to just hand a rookie the starting job. At any position

From the OTA rumour mill, Davis is starting, and Dieter is given a chance to challenge. Kindley lost the starting position.

Hopefully just another of the million rumors circulating. Davis starting great...........
Kindley losing his starting job, I doubt this all is true but if so.

Ya were all set on the offensive line....lmao.

Wake up people, and FO ..... see major trouble here and truly hope I'm 100% wrong. But seeing whats been shown by the actual players we are supposed to be talking about, you know Jackson,Kindley, Skura, Hunt and Eichenberg has it all over these FH speculations of hopes and want to be's.

Well it might be dealing with losing games while watching the OL develop if thats OK with you all (not me).

Not worried we have Hunts long 1 year experience to fall back on. And think about it he will be a 2 year experience Vet after next year. Hey they can't miss this year only have 4 young inexperienced OL guys, and maybe we will throw in Dieter who is experienced but geee he's never played center in the NFL.

I mean you don't have to agree with me but you should be able to understand and recognize the questionable situation our OL is in.... but then one guy would have been content with bringing back Karras......

To start signed a top shelf Center and would have been zeroing in on Corey Linsley

In the draft used built up draft picks and use to move up for a better OL than Jackson which was pretty much doable.

Be looking for a quality RT NOW ... though market smaller maybe create a trade possibly or this time talking with Morgan Moses at least.
Now understand that these quality FA may not be here for to long...Just giving a period of breakin for the kids
Dolphins IMO are ready to compete if the OL holds up its end...

I mean all this opinions that we have the quality OL from meaningless reasoning. Nothing shown yet and hopes of making a large step up...HOPES !

Not saying they won't some day be very good but the essential need now is whats questionable, No matter what round or High school or college they came from...
Hmmm lots of IFs in there, just as much so as our current optimism

Eichenberg hasn’t allowed a sack in like 2 years…. I think he will be fine. Whereas you want to keep adding veteran band aids and hope they play to their former level. No guarantee a higher picked player fares better, Andrew Thomas? Seems like Wirfs was the best, but if everyone knew that he may not have last that long.

Linsley or Andrews would’ve been nice yea, but we tried for DA and maybe Linsley was too much money?

you know all these guys you are championing us to sign - they had to be young and drafted at some point in their careers 😉

Hopefully just another of the million rumors circulating. Davis starting great...........
Kindley losing his starting job, I doubt this all is true but if so.

Ya were all set on the offensive line....lmao.

Wake up people, and FO ..... see major trouble here and truly hope I'm 100% wrong. But seeing whats been shown by the actual players we are supposed to be talking about, you know Jackson,Kindley, Skura, Hunt and Eichenberg has it all over these FH speculations of hopes and want to be's.

Well it might be dealing with losing games while watching the OL develop if thats OK with you all (not me).

Not worried we have Hunts long 1 year experience to fall back on. And think about it he will be a 2 year experience Vet after next year. Hey they can't miss this year only have 4 young inexperienced OL guys, and maybe we will throw in Dieter who is experienced but geee he's never played center in the NFL.

I mean you don't have to agree with me but you should be able to understand and recognize the questionable situation our OL is in.... but then one guy would have been content with bringing back Karras......
I think everyone understands and recognizes the current OL situation … yet you do not understand we can’t jus keep bringing in new players and hope they have chemistry all while using up more and more funds while ignoring other parts of the team

My preferred way to discuss the OL during the offseason is to discuss the percentage chance for each ranking range.
  • Top 10 unit — 5%
  • Top 15 unit — 30%
  • 16-25 — 55%
  • 26 or below — 10%
I think the unit will be better, but I doubt it will be a top unit. One reason is that I have doubts about Kindley. He is aggressive, but his frequent poor technique is the reason he was rated so poorly by PFF. I have doubts about our center, so I just do not see how they improve significantly. Hopefully, I am wrong.

Where did you hear that? Douglie doo doo (couldn't pass it up) is the only place I heard that, and I doubt he has any more insight than anyone else.

His podcast is "OK", much better than when he started. I can only take it in small doses, because he spends half the time on non football related nonsense like patches (who the hell wears patches), and shout outs.

I'm lost. Are you referring to Eich?
In this case yeah. I guess I read it as Davis starting at RT but probably means LG instead (of Kindley) … j think I read earlier this year Jesse Davis was being given a shot there

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Flores and Grier drafted players in 2020 and 2021 who won't necessarily make huge impacts their first year. They've also been drafting highly athletic players with high ceilings. They're investing in the line heavily through the draft - three players drafted last year, two this year. Even that seventh-round pick, Larnel Coleman, is pretty freaking athletic.

I'm of the opinion the OL play will improve considerably as they all grow together.

Where did you hear that? Douglie doo doo (couldn't pass it up) is the only place I heard that, and I doubt he has any more insight than anyone else.

His podcast is "OK", much better than when he started. I can only take it in small doses, because he spends half the time on non football related nonsense like patches (who the hell wears patches), and shout outs.

Douglie's a solid dude.

My guess would be that if he talks about patches, Patchvibes might sponsor him.

(Also, mildly off-topic, doing a podcast is a heck of a lot harder than it seems. I do a lesser-known one, and it's always so cringey to hear yourself and all the mistakes you make. I did college radio, so I thought, "Oh, this will be easy as pie." Wrong.)

Dougie's a solid dude.

My guess would be that if he talks about patches, Patchvibes might sponsor him.
Like I said, he's OK. I like his vids enough to watch many of them. I just bypass the first 3 to 5 minutes.

My main point was that he isn't really a reliable source for specific player like Dieter may be winning the center battle, or Davis claiming a starting gig.

I will say both of those things are possible, and neither would shock. It's just that I don't know that I consider him to have any real knowledge of the situation.

But hey, neither do our beat writers, so his opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

My point is that normally players who are expected to take time to develop are not selected in the first round. That round is suppose to be for players who can step in and start immediately.

Jackson didn’t play that bad before being injured but either he wasn’t fully recovered when he came back from his injury or his play just dropped off over the latter part of the season.

I am not saying that Jackson or Iggy will turn out to be below average players in the NFL. I just have higher expectations for players drafted in the first round than in later rounds. Hopefully both of them and Tua will all play at a much higher level in 2021 than they did last year.
This seems to be an ongoing battle when it comes to the draft. Grier is either blasted for being too safe or blasted for not taking the safe pick. Jackson has a ton of potential, but is not a finished product, so Grier took a swing for the fences with the 18th overall pick. He was drafted with the hope that he reaches that potential, and Miami wasn’t really supposed to contend last year, so they had a year of development with him. Now this pick is being blasted due to it being a potential driven pick instead of a safe pick. With Wilkins a few years back he was considered a safe pick because his floor was higher and his ceiling was lower. He was basically a finished product and we all had a good idea of what he would be. Grier was blasted for that pick because it was safe and the potential wasn’t as great. Guess Grier can’t win either way he goes, but I happen to like swinging for the fences because when you hit you really hit.

Back
Top Bottom