Other Teams Qbs That Might Get Cut? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Other Teams Qbs That Might Get Cut?

With Hundley going to the Seahawks, the backup job is sure to go to him. They would likely cut both Alex McGough and Austin Davis now. I like Alex. He was an udfa from FIU and I believe we liked him in the seventh but for some reason didn’t get him as an udfa

Maybe as a practice squad option, but he's not ready to be a primary backup.

Maybe as a practice squad option, but he's not ready to be a primary backup.
I agree. Honestly I’ve been waiting for this day since I heard Seattle was desperate for backups. I’ve been watching his chances at a roster spot dwindle to nothing. Is there a way to put him on our 53 and then drop him to practice squad in week three or something? Because otherwise I have a feeling the plan is to stash him on the PS for Seattle if they can

I agree. Honestly I’ve been waiting for this day since I heard Seattle was desperate for backups. I’ve been watching his chances at a roster spot dwindle to nothing. Is there a way to put him on our 53 and then drop him to practice squad in week three or something? Because otherwise I have a feeling the plan is to stash him on the PS for Seattle if they can

Even if you put him on the 53 man roster for three weeks, once you released him Seattle and all the other teams would have just as much right to signing him to the practice squad as Miami. Actually, I would have no problem letting him learn from the Seattle coaching staff on their practice squad and then trying to poach him at the end of the season. The Seahawks could likely groom him just as well if not better than Miami could.

Seahawks trading for Hundley is interesting. The Dolphins were keen on FIU quarterback Alex McGough in the pre-draft process and apparently had him targeted as a UDFA before the Seahawks drafted him in the 7th.

If he gets cut, I am willing to bet that Miami tries to get him down here on the practice squad.

FWIW, I really like McGough. He played very well for FIU in 2017 and it was his injury on the first drive in their bowl game that really sunk the Golden Panthers in that game. You want to talk about bad backup quarterback situations, that was a prime example. The guy they had in after him was basically an option quarterback who couldn't complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield.

McGough looks to me like a guy who has the tools to develop into a viable pro quarterback. Just spitballing, though.

This is the worst advice ever for several reasons.

1. That is literally what happened last year and you didnt learn from it.

2. Even if Ryan goes down, they will still play the games, and I imagine I know what kind of fan you are by what you said, but I am going to watch week in and week out like I did last year, and I would most certainly prefer to have a glimmer of hope of winning than watch Brock Osweiler get us the #1 pick, where we will choose a defensive end, and pass up yet another surefire QB, for a 2nd round gamble that doesnt pay off.

3. Imagine had the Eagles said the same thing when their MVP candidate QB went down. Ryan Tannehill is our best QB but he is definitely replaceable.

You're learning the wrong lesson. The lesson is to build a good enough team that your backup QB has a good chance of winning games.

You're learning the wrong lesson. The lesson is to build a good enough team that your backup QB has a good chance of winning games.

Yeah but they cant build a good team. They have been trying for decades. It is much easier to draft a good QB than to build a good team.

Foles sure proved that, although he admittedly looked good. This year he has looked terrible (once again), though
it's PS.

Watch for Mike White on the cowboys as well. If he gets released or put on their PS he might get poached by the Dolphins who were looking at him in the draft.

......This franchise refuses to develop QBs.
Nobody will ever know why. But someday a regime will come in that actually does it. Likely soon.

well, let's see, we had Moore for at least 5 years, and many here considered him the top backup in the league.

And what happened last year was an anomalay. So what you are saying, in fairness, is that the Fins didnt get a 3rd string QB in the last few years who is now starter quality (what team has?) or who is now back-up ready?

The latter point is well taken, but I think it's a reflection of just how many holes this team had.

Plan seems to have been lets roll the
dice with a pretty good qb that we lnow is durable, and hope we can pick up a good backup qb here or there.

Personally, I dont think it was a bad plan. Problem was bad drafting and bad coaching that didnt really build the team.

Oh, and i dont know answer to this, but how many teams have drafted a 3rd 4th 5th rounder QB to groom to be
a quality back-up (or starter) and succeeded? it would be interesting to compare those teams and map out their trajectory.

Maybe after 53 man rosters, we can look at everyone's 3 deep and see who fills those QB spots and how long they been w/ their team.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom