Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2019 Quarterbacks (seniors)

Does he have an invite to the Senior Bowl ? Think that will be a good chance to see him in a setting in and around better players.

Jim Nagy the guy in charge of the Senior Bowl seemed to prioritize every senior QB except Easton Stick. Probably the worst that I can think of there is having heard from someone who spoke with one of their scouting under-studies that they had highest priority on getting Trace McSorely to the game.

They've grabbed Clayton Thorson, Gardner Minshew, Jarrett Stidham, Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Will Grier, and Ryan Finley, in addition to Trace McSorely.

Listen, I think Trace McSorely is a nice college QB and all. I like his moxie and he's a gamer. But there are times the man can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It is what it is. Several of the Shrine quarterbacks, including Easton Stick and Brett Rypien, perhaps Jordan Ta'amu and Taylor Cornelius as well, will end up drafted. And I suspect Easton Stick will go ahead of many of those Senior Bowl invites.

Ck- your sitting at 13-
Murray gets past 4.. are you trading a 2020 Rd1 to move up 5-8 spots?
Or are you sitting tight worst case BPA and possibly move up to toon RD2 for your boy Shtick?

The thing that many fans don't realize is that by draft day the teams pretty much know how the draft is going to play out in terms of how high players are going, who is after who, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm unprepared to answer that question by virtue of several unknowns.

First, I have no idea what the Dolphins are going to do for head coach, offensive coordinator, and then free agency. It's impossible for me to assess Kyler Murray's fit, as well as how HIGH of a pick that 2020 first rounder is likely to be, until I see those things.

Second, I don't have the intel to know how high I need to go in order to get Kyler Murray. Will he make it to 13 overall? How high would I need to go?

Third, going rate for a move from #13 overall to somewhere in the 5 to 8 range isn't going to be the 1st rounder in 2020. Because the NFL doesn't allow you to protect the 1st round picks like the NBA does, I think typically you're going to be looking at a 2nd rounder in 2019, and another 2nd rounder in 2020, as the price tag to move up that distance. Especially in THIS draft where people aren't all that excited about the QB prospects.

Last year the Buffalo Bills traded two 2nd round picks (i.e. a 1st round equivalent) in order to move up from #12 to #7 in order to take Josh Allen. But that was a draft that had "the big four" quarterback prospects in it. It was considered to be a hot draft and teams up top knew that the teams looking to trade up and get one of those guys were going to have to pay a price.

The Arizona Cardinals traded a 3rd round pick in order to move up from #15 to #10 in order to get Josh Rosen.

The thing that would give me pause about going up and getting Murray would be how bad Miami is likely to be in 2019. The owner just communicated to everyone that he believes the strategy every year since he's owned the team, which he described as filling needs in free agency and then drafting solidly, has been terribly unsuccessful and he wants to try something "new".

What that "new" is sounds like a DESTRUCTIVE rebuild. It sounds like they will be jettisoning anyone on roster of a certain age with a certain salary figure, focusing on keeping around the young and talented players, and not dipping into free agency unless it's for a young player, or a cheap player, or both.

Knowing the cap situation as I do, it sounds to me like Steve Ross intends to "flush" all of the accrued expenses accumulated under Mike Tannenbaum's watch, to where our cash payroll FAR undershoots our official "cap figure". And that means, Kyler Murray or not, we may not be fielding a very good team in 2019. And if we're not, then you're going to want to protect that 2020 pick.

To your point as to protecting a 2020 pick- yes it will have a high value.

I wonder though how much information is actually available and how much misinformation is out there draft day.
For instance, Rosen. AZ moved from 15 I think to 10 to get in front of Miami. Was Miami taking Rosen- doubt it. Gase was in RT17 win now mode. But Arizona didn’t want to take the risk. It was an unknown.
Point being - not sure you will have the intel....
So the cost to move 5 spots is a 2nd to 3rd Rd pick. (The Raiders btw seem to sell short).
The question becomes at what point does he become viable from a value standpoint- is it after 10?
If so that tells me you really don’t love him- it’s almost a hedge bet. If you are convinced he is your franchise QB then the answer should be yes I am willing to give up 2020 RD1. I need to get to #4 in the draft if he is there. Because if he is your franchise QB you will be able to get around losing that RD1. The league is super heavy QB league more than ever.

These teams have a lot better idea what’s going on than you think.

As for the Cardinals moving to 10, I do not believe that was to get ahead of Miami. They would’ve preferred to move to Miami’s 11 spot because of the cheaper 5th year option. But Miami refused to entertain offers for the 11th pick.

If you are on board at 11 with Minkah Derwin Payne Davenport among others on the board and you can garner a 3rd RD pick - I would be hard pressed not to trade down if I were Miami.

The thing that many fans don't realize is that by draft day the teams pretty much know how the draft is going to play out in terms of how high players are going, who is after who, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm unprepared to answer that question by virtue of several unknowns.

First, I have no idea what the Dolphins are going to do for head coach, offensive coordinator, and then free agency. It's impossible for me to assess Kyler Murray's fit, as well as how HIGH of a pick that 2020 first rounder is likely to be, until I see those things.

Second, I don't have the intel to know how high I need to go in order to get Kyler Murray. Will he make it to 13 overall? How high would I need to go?

Third, going rate for a move from #13 overall to somewhere in the 5 to 8 range isn't going to be the 1st rounder in 2020. Because the NFL doesn't allow you to protect the 1st round picks like the NBA does, I think typically you're going to be looking at a 2nd rounder in 2019, and another 2nd rounder in 2020, as the price tag to move up that distance. Especially in THIS draft where people aren't all that excited about the QB prospects.

Last year the Buffalo Bills traded two 2nd round picks (i.e. a 1st round equivalent) in order to move up from #12 to #7 in order to take Josh Allen. But that was a draft that had "the big four" quarterback prospects in it. It was considered to be a hot draft and teams up top knew that the teams looking to trade up and get one of those guys were going to have to pay a price.

The Arizona Cardinals traded a 3rd round pick in order to move up from #15 to #10 in order to get Josh Rosen.

The thing that would give me pause about going up and getting Murray would be how bad Miami is likely to be in 2019. The owner just communicated to everyone that he believes the strategy every year since he's owned the team, which he described as filling needs in free agency and then drafting solidly, has been terribly unsuccessful and he wants to try something "new".

What that "new" is sounds like a DESTRUCTIVE rebuild. It sounds like they will be jettisoning anyone on roster of a certain age with a certain salary figure, focusing on keeping around the young and talented players, and not dipping into free agency unless it's for a young player, or a cheap player, or both.

Knowing the cap situation as I do, it sounds to me like Steve Ross intends to "flush" all of the accrued expenses accumulated under Mike Tannenbaum's watch, to where our cash payroll FAR undershoots our official "cap figure". And that means, Kyler Murray or not, we may not be fielding a very good team in 2019. And if we're not, then you're going to want to protect that 2020 pick.

Why use 1 word when 450 would do just as well :p

What CK mean't to say was: YES !!!

Jim Nagy the guy in charge of the Senior Bowl seemed to prioritize every senior QB except Easton Stick. Probably the worst that I can think of there is having heard from someone who spoke with one of their scouting under-studies that they had highest priority on getting Trace McSorely to the game.

They've grabbed Clayton Thorson, Gardner Minshew, Jarrett Stidham, Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Will Grier, and Ryan Finley, in addition to Trace McSorely.

Listen, I think Trace McSorely is a nice college QB and all. I like his moxie and he's a gamer. But there are times the man can't hit the broad side of a barn.

It is what it is. Several of the Shrine quarterbacks, including Easton Stick and Brett Rypien, perhaps Jordan Ta'amu and Taylor Cornelius as well, will end up drafted. And I suspect Easton Stick will go ahead of many of those Senior Bowl invites.

That list of invitees isn't the worst I have to say, but like you say Stick should surely have been among that group. Chances are someone could drop out I guess, not sure if he would be an alternate ? At least he'll get to show some stuff at the shrine game and pretty sure he'll get a combine invite ! I can see a push start to happen with this kid, there's a lot to like there.

If you are on board at 11 with Minkah Derwin Payne Davenport among others on the board and you can garner a 3rd RD pick - I would be hard pressed not to trade down if I were Miami.

You know, Minkah was an ELITE prospect. Just because he was coached by fools and punished by a lack of depth, don’t discount his value.

I love Minkah. If you look back at my posts before last years drafts - I had 4 QBs, Minkah Derwin Ward Saquon Nelson Chubb as top 11.
Minkah was solid pick. No doubt.

But you...are not they. They...said No.

Which Steve Ross was not particularly happy about.

Why use 1 word when 450 would do just as well :p

What CK mean't to say was: YES !!!

Well actually if we're going to over-simplify, my answer is much closet to a No than it is a Yes.

Miami could be quite awful in 2019...by design. By intention. Whether we draft Kyle Murray or not. The 2020 draft is one where a bunch of QBs are coming out and that tends to raise the value of high picks. You could find that you gave away an extremely, extremely valuable pick that you could have monetized for a fortune.

So I would steer toward giving away 2nd rounder(s).

We gotta add Tyree Jackson back to this list.

I think he is another guy we should be looking at in the mid rounds

I want Jordan Ta’amu in the mid to late rounds. Yes I’m back on the Ta’amu wagon, Kid finished 2nd in passing yards behind Tua. Sign me up.

I want Jordan Ta’amu in the mid to late rounds. Yes I’m back on the Ta’amu wagon, Kid finished 2nd in passing yards behind Tua. Sign me up.

He didn't do great against the best competition - Alabama, LSU
and Mississippi State, though he was pretty good against the remainder of the SEC.

Back
Top Bottom