Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors)

I don’t know what it is but when I watch Trubisky it just gives me flashes of what Herbert might end up being.

not sure the merit to that thought I just sense it. Scares the piss out of me. I guess all the things I question about Herbert kind of fit the mold of what Trubisky striggles w/ in the NFL.

I understand what you are saying. Trubisky never looks like he has fluid decision making and neither does Herbert. It's like frantic thought process within a narrow window, and if that is closed then the frantic process shifts to another narrow window.

I'd prefer a windshield wiper type

Trubisky is someone who fans that stroll casually in and out of the game are either impressed with or think very little of. He's got a very nice arc and arm that makes him look great dropping in nice passes several times a game.

But his gamesmanship is very limited, he's never really in control, and he won't be able to consistently beat good NFL defenses.

I understand what you are saying. Trubisky never looks like he has fluid decision making and neither does Herbert. It's like frantic thought process within a narrow window, and if that is closed then the frantic process shifts to another narrow window.

I'd prefer a windshield wiper type

dead on

1. Justin Herbert / Oregon / 6’6”, 233

2. Joe Burrow / LSU / 6’4”, 216

3. Elijah Sindelar / Purdue / 6’4”, 225 (Senior, but was awarded a 6th year of eligibility if he chooses to use it next year. Probably out for the season - collarbone)

4. J’Mar Smith / LA-Tech / 6’1”, 226

5. Anthony Gordon / Washington St. / 6'3", 210

6. Kevin Davidson / Princeton / 6’4”, 225

7. Khalil Tate / Arizona / 6’2”, 215

8. Mike Glass III / E. Michigan / 6’0”, 212

9. Brian Lewerke / Michigan St. / 6’3”, 220

10. Steven Montez / Colorado / 6’5”, 230

11. Bryce Perkins / Virginia / 6’3”, 210

12. Kaleb Barker / Troy / 6’1”, 206 (Saw him many times in high school here for Priceville)

13. James Morgan / FIU / 6’4”, 213

14. Jake Luton / Oregon St. / 6’7”, 230

15. Jake Bentley / S. Carolina / 6’4”, 224 (Out for season - foot injury)

16. Deondre Francois / Hampton / 6’1”, 215 (Transferred from FSU - off field issues)

17. Blake Barnett / USF / 6’5”, 217 (Out for season - ankle injury)

18. Caleb Evans / UL-Monroe / 6’2”, 210

Yo slim shady, you ever going to update this to Burrow #1, otherwise it's embarrassing to have Herbert at #1 still.

Yo slim shady, you ever going to update this to Burrow #1, otherwise it's embarrassing to have Herbert at #1 still.

I appreciate not changing, even if I don't agree with this one. Slimm follows these guys early and makes long term evaluation instead of jump shifting week to week as soon as the player reaches the public spotlight.

Besides, it's not as if Justin Herbert above Joe Burrow as a pro is some huge longshot

Burrow does seem to promote stubbornness. Urban Meyer refused to consider him above JT Barrett.

if your a stat guy sure.

I’m an eye ball guy.

what does being a "Stat" guy or an "eyeball" guy have to do with experience??

The fact that Herbert currently has more experience as a collegiate than Trubisky does NOW is definitely something of value.

I'm not in favor of Herbert at 3/4 but I thought that comment was just wrong, sorry.

what does being a "Stat" guy or an "eyeball" guy have to do with experience??

The fact that Herbert currently has more experience as a collegiate than Trubisky does NOW is definitely something of value.

I'm not in favor of Herbert at 3/4 but I thought that comment was just wrong, sorry.

I read his comment incorrectly .

Starting to look at the QB's a bit, Washington St. QB Anthony Gordon seems to have a strong arm with decent accuracy although 16 Int. seems extremely high, but for a 1 year starter who has thrown more passes than any other QB in college in 2019 throwing 647 attempts completing 468 71.8% 45 TD's in his crash course under Mike Leech. I have to wonder why he stayed or wasn't promoted above Gardner Minshew, his arm looks better than Minshew's, has some good zip.

Starting to look at the QB's a bit, Washington St. QB Anthony Gordon seems to have a strong arm with decent accuracy although 16 Int. seems extremely high, but for a 1 year starter who has thrown more passes than any other QB in college in 2019 throwing 647 attempts completing 468 71.8% 45 TD's in his crash course under Mike Leech. I have to wonder why he stayed or wasn't promoted above Gardner Minshew, his arm looks better than Minshew's, has some good zip.
I’m at work and can’t find it right now, but there was a video talking about how he’s fools gold. To be fair I haven’t watched it entirely, but would like to know more about him too. He Does have some numbers.

Those Leach guys one way or another always end up finding their way onto an NFL field as they're so well experienced coming out, but there's yet to be a really good one and that's what tends to trip people up. Even looking at Anthony Gordon there's nothing that really stands out about him from a pure skills standpoint. I don't see anything innate about the way he reads or processes the field.

Those Leach guys one way or another always end up finding their way onto an NFL field as they're so well experienced coming out, but there's yet to be a really good one and that's what tends to trip people up. Even looking at Anthony Gordon there's nothing that really stands out about him from a pure skills standpoint. I don't see anything innate about the way he reads or processes the field.

He's not a leach guy but this is how i feel about Joe Burrow, really smart guy that understands the game but i'm not sure he has the horsepower to be an elite NFL QB.

From a pure skills stand point, meaning he does have have an exceptional arm strength? I know the guy's not a 1st round pick but someone to develope in the 3rd to 5th round range.

Anywhere you guy's go to find tape on these players other than you tube, anyone doing cut-up's of players - watching full games at this point just to time consuming for me, may be someone can point me to a QB primer so I know what to look for.

Last edited:
And no I'm not a stat junkie I do know his stats are skewed by the fact that Leach doesn't run the ball often, was just an observation watching limited game film I could find, not that I wasn't attracted to him by the 9 TD's he thru against Stanford.

Also thought Washington St.WR Easop Winston Jr. was way under rated on Slimm's chart as a WR, don't understand how he is a senior WR with only 1 year of experence, Junior College I'm guessing, hope he makes the combine cut interested in seeing how fast he is.

He's not a leach guy but this is how i feel about Joe Burrow, really smart guy that understands the game but i'm not sure he has the horsepower to be an elite NFL QB.

I can understand that. And I've been a detractor as well. But I have to admit, he scrambles around and makes plays that way pretty nicely. He's also been uncanny accurate this year. Both of those are premium tools to have in the tool box when he jumps to the pros. The more tools you have in the tool box, the ones you can rely on when plays aren't developing ideally, the more likely you are to survive until you really start to figure things out and develop command of the way NFL defenses play against your offense.

I've been softening on him. I liken him to Russell Wilson coming out of Wisconsin. For both guys, you can say that, if THIS is what the guy ends up being in the pros, then he'll be stupendous. But with both guys, there was a potentially fatal characteristic that could stand in the way of the player making that jump. For Wilson, it was his being 5'11". For Burrow, it's his total lack of an NFL level fast ball.

I said this back in 2012, this made Russell Wilson a boom-or-bust player. Either the height matters and he gets run straight out of the league (perhaps hit so hard he wakes up playing baseball, like Pat White)...or he's going to be the amazing QB he was at Wisconsin (and NC State).

The same is likely true of Joe Burrow. Either NFL defenders will start to crowd the plate on him, he won't be able to challenge them with his velocity, and the athleticism which has been such a weapon for him in college sees him ending up looking more like Ryan Fitzpatrick in the pros...or he'll find the right offensive system, and the short passing game that has become so prevalent in the NFL nowadays will allow for him to be the quarterback he is, another potential Drew Brees or Tom Brady. I don't see a ton of in-between.

Back
Top Bottom