The Official 2007 Copa America thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2007 Copa America thread

Im hoping USA pulls the upset and Colombia does also.
:lol:

who am I kidding.

Colombia could if Brazil and Argentina get themselves into trouble... but I sincerely doubt either the US or Mexico are going to amount to anything.

Guys, don't get high on the US. Seriously, the team we are sending over there is not an A team, not a B team, and it's a serious question whether we can even call it a C team. Really, I think this is a wasted opportunity to get good experience for the starters.

Here's our roster:

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany)

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C.), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK, Denmark), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Drew Moor (Dallas), Heath Pearce (Nordsjaelland, Denmark), Marvell Wynne (Toronto)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Colorado), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg SV, Germany), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Ben Olsen (D.C.)

Forwards: Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Sweden), Herculez Gomez (Colorado), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City), Taylor Twellman (New England)

So, let's break it down. At goalkeeper we're fine with Keller who can easily start on the full side (though the future belongs to Howard).

At defender who do we have other than Bornstein??? Let me ask again.. who do we have??

Marvel Wynne is a GREAT prospect and maybe our future right back (best potential attacking right back), but realistically you expect him to make the 1st team by 2010 at best. He's just not ready yet. Jimmy Conrad is either B or C team and the rest are just... "fill in a curse here".

Midfield? OK, this will be interesting. Obviously, Feilhaber is good. But who else? None can claim to even get on the B team really, but this will be a (last?) opportunity for some who never got enough of a chance or a (first?) opportunity for those that have some potential.

Specifically, Gaven and Mapp are two that have shown at different times they can play well in MLS and were once thought to be part of our future. They somehow never broke through. So, this is a nice chance for them to try again (Mapp is more versatile, but Gaven has greater potential). And Nguyen will get his chance to do some tricks - he might have a bright future who knows. But guys like Ben Olsen are just stuffing - people you call up when no one else can come.

The forwards look better - both Johnson and Twellman are there, but not only is forward our weakest position, WHO is going to get them the ball??

Oh, and including Herculez Gomez is a great idea. He's done well at club level but never really got a chance.

So, in summary, if we lose all games, that shouldn't be surprising. As I said, wasted opportunity. Of course, you never know and the young guys might just show up...

My dear Mexicans, my dear gringos, welcome to real competition :tongue:

I'm really thrilled about this new era colombian squad...... you'll see, you'll see!!! :evil:

too bad US won't play with the "a" team ..... now you'll have an excuse when we kick ur ***..... :tantrum:lol :lol:

My dear Mexicans, my dear gringos, welcome to real competition :tongue:

I'm really thrilled about this new era colombian squad...... you'll see, you'll see!!! :evil:

too bad US won't play with the "a" team ..... now you'll have an excuse when we kick ur ***..... :tantrum:lol :lol:

Have you seen Juan Pablo Angel? I mean he is playing against lesser opposition in the MLS but the man is sick... he is just like a man among boys, it has been fun to watch him be awesome here in NYC (actually jersey, but you know what I mean)

Back
Top Bottom