The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!! | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!!

Hey, thanks. I don't lump myself in with the likes of the aforementioned posters at all. I'm much newer to the whole thing. I haven't logged the hours they have or done the legwork. My prospect analytical skills are still very much a work in progress. It's still something I'm getting into - whereas, I consider them in it.

But your post intelligently. Some of the trash that is thrown out on this site or others hurts my feelings. The people I mentioned and some others really talk football. X's and O's, ask opinions, and give insightful posts.

But your post intelligently. Some of the trash that is thrown out on this site or others hurts my feelings. The people I mentioned and some others really talk football. X's and O's, ask opinions, and give insightful posts.

This board has a bunch of great posters. From the core contributors, you almost never see anyone pumping up or slamming a player based on bad data or faulty viewings. Most of the discrepancy in opinion usually comes down to how each individual poster values a number of attributes. It's difficult to find that level of discussion period - let alone on draft prospects - and it's one of the major reasons I keep coming back.

By the way, I agree with your assertion that while other factors contributed to Auburn's comeback against Alabama, Newton still had to get it done. N. Collins pick-6 contributed greatly to the Packers' SB win. A. Rodgers' performance is still one of the best I've ever seen - maybe the best I've seen live - in a SB.

this is one of those arguments where we are all dug in...i don't see anything changing...i understand the offense made thngs easier on newton and that he didn't have to make many reads...

but i'm all in on this kids upside and physical talents...if he interviewed well and went to the chalkboard and i heard what i needed to hear and my background investigation didn't show him to be a serial killer you bet your bottom dollar i'd pluck this kid off the board at #15...the potential reward far outweighs the risk

can anyone tell me what kind of offense ben roethlisberger came out of at miami of ohio??? cause i swear i see an awful lot of similarities in berger and newtons games...and while bergers probably the toughest qb i've ever seen to get to the ground newtons got much better legs and athleticism

Come on, CK. When I asked if it would shocking to see him go #1 (considering everyone had taken for granted Luck at #1), you said it would be! I'm just messing. You bring up a ton of great points. Ten years ago, I wouldn't like the idea of drafting Newton in the 1st . . . Five years ago, I probably wouldn't. In today's NFL, based on what I've seen from him, no spot in the 1st RD is too high. There isn't a more talented player in the draft, and he plays the most important position in football. I think his athleticism tempers the potential for him to be a flat-out bust. At worst, I see a QB who is good enough to take a great team to the SB (M. Vick). At best, I see a QB who can absolutely carry almost any team with moderate talent to the SB any given year.

For a team that doesn't have a QB, I love that risk/reward.

Also, Slimm, I think I remember you saying you loved Sanchez despite his one year of starting experience. Sanchez pretty much replicated Booty's success at USC. I remember you favoring Sanchez because he played in a "pro style" offense. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. But, if I'm looking at a 1-year starter, I'd rather have a guy who carried his team to a National Championship - and has an embarrassment of physical tools - than a guy who couldn't take one of the most talented teams in the country to the title. Factor in the SEC/Pac 10 credentials, and I don't see how Sanchez is a comparable prospect to Newton - let alone a better one.

Mark Sanchez is the ONLY exception I've ever made for a 1 year starter as a 1st round pick.... I had him over Matthew Stafford despite Stafford also playing in a pro style offense, being more experienced, and playing in the SEC.

I watched Matthew Stafford get shut down by Nick Saban and Bama's defense too... going something like 8 for 15, 50 yards, no TD's and an interception in a single half of football, which lead to Bama taking a 31-0 halftime lead. Saban called off the dogs in the second half which allowed Stafford to pad his stats... I've seen this before.

Stafford was always a slow starter... he would often come out in the first half of games with bad footwork and his accuracy would suffer.. Mike Bobo would have to get the ground game going with Moreno in order for Stafford to find a rhythm and execute play action passes.

Sanchez had a lot of things going for him that I like to see in a quarterback, coming from a pro style offense wasn't the kicker.

To your point, all Cam Newton did was replicate Chris Todd's success in Malzahn's offense from a passing perspective, but Todd couldn't play running back too. Take that as a positive if you choose... but at least Booty was an NFL prospect, Chris Todd wasn't.

Winning national championships is irrelevant in the NFL... who are the successful NFL quarterbacks who won national titles? How many of them who won national titles never played a single down in the NFL?

Nick Fairley was just as much of a revelation for Auburn as Cam Newton was, and just as much of an X-factor. But this was a better Auburn team all around than they were the year before, everyone was more experienced... and having pups like Michael Dyer and Phillip Lutzenkirken be able to contribute like the did was tremendous. Auburn had the right chemistry this year, and Cam Newton was a big part of that.

But this is also the Auburn team who jumped out to a 14-0 lead on Bama last year with Chris Todd, and it was Bama who had to mount the comeback. It wasn't all Cam Newton....this was a better football team than they were the year before.

I typically don't fall in love with the physical aspects of a quarterback, I've been around too long for that.... especially when he does it playing running back.

this is one of those arguments where we are all dug in...i don't see anything changing...i understand the offense made thngs easier on newton and that he didn't have to make many reads...

but i'm all in on this kids upside and physical talents...if he interviewed well and went to the chalkboard and i heard what i needed to hear and my background investigation didn't show him to be a serial killer you bet your bottom dollar i'd pluck this kid off the board at #15...the potential reward far outweighs the risk

Very much so. The season is over. The Combine/Pro Day stuff is not really meant to change anyone's mind one way or another. About two months ago I'd say there is still some meat on the bone, especially as the only games of Newton's I'd seen were his early season games like Arkansas State, where I looked and came away thinking...he's better than Jake Locker, but only JUST better. Now that all the games are in the books and I've been able to digest his 2H2010 performance, that's how I come away with such a high grade. That's not changing, debate all we want.

Grain of salt, but I found this:

And while his performance and skill make him an obvious favorite, commenters on al.com are saying it's Newton's personality that give him the edge. Here's a sample of what folks are saying...

For all the Cam haters, and Tebow haters, both of these guys will do well because they are intelligent young men with pleasant personalities. The real endorsement of their character comes from their teammates. - TigerEyez13

Last Tiger walk I went to (the NC celebration Jan. 22), Cam was having a ball!! The students and fans were flocking to him and he took it all in stride and had fun! Cam loves football and unlike so many, he has fun playing the game. It is not all business to him, it is still a fun game to Cam. I am not sure I have ever seen a player with his talent, ever actually enjoy the game as much as he does. - au4ever

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/01/auburn_fans_point_to_cam_newto.html

This is coming from people who want to like Cam, but it appears - to me, anyway - that he's given them every reason to like him.

Hoops said it: we're all pretty set on how we view Cam for now. Until any new info - bad or good - breaks, we're not wavering, and even then, most of us still likely won't waver. As I mentioned previously, I'm seeing valid reasons from both camps, and I think it comes down to value assessment. My background is in literature, and projecting these guys to the NFL is almost like translating poetry. When, you take a phrase from one language and try to transfer it to another, you're going to lose some things and - hopefully, if the translation is good - gain some things. There's a Li Po (8th century Chinese poet) poem that Ezra Pound famously translated. Rather than giving a strict translation, he played upon the strengths of the poem and the English language. There are other more literal translations where the poem falls flat, because English can't do all the things that Chinese does. There are going to be aspects of these players games that they can't take with them to the NFL. The great ones develop aspects of their pro games they didn't have in college. That's the art of the business, I think - figuring out which ones have the tools to take as much as they can with them while developing new aspects of their games to make them great NFL players.

Last edited by a moderator:
i did listen to a live interview friday on nfl network that cam did with the guys on the set where while he came off very engaging and happy to be there etc the words that came out left me wondering about just how smart this kid is...maybe some of it was nerves

he's gonna win someone over with that big smile and someones taking a chance on that kids talent...and i mean EARLY... i'm sure he's gonna light it up thursday in his media workout session also...the arrows pointing up

To your point, all Cam Newton did was replicate Chris Todd's success in Malzahn's offense from a passing perspective, but Todd couldn't play running back too. Take that as a positive if you choose... but at least Booty was an NFL prospect, Chris Todd wasn't.

That's a disingenuous statement and you know it. 60% completion versus 66% completion, 13.2 YPC versus 15.4 YPC, 8.0 YPA versus 10.2 YPA, 6.7% TD rate versus 10.7% TD Rate, a 100.3 QB Rating versus a 124.9 QB Rating.

If you're going to transfigure things to that extent then you might as well just toss out ALL means of evaluating QB passing performance and say they're all "basically the same". I mean, what can Trent Green do that Jay Fiedler can't?

I think Slimm is right here. All I see out of Newton is replicating Todd's stats as a passer but with the addition of being a running back.

And I don't only mean statistically-wise is how he replicated Todd's performance.

point me in the direction of some of this chris todd tape??? if there is any to look at

I think Slimm is right here. All I see out of Newton is replicating Todd's stats as a passer but with the addition of being a running back.

And I don't mean statistically-wise is how he replicated Todd's performance.

Right, because why let facts get in the way of a good opinion.

Grain of salt, but I found this:

This is coming from people who want to like Cam, but it appears - to me, anyway - that he's given them every reason to like him.

Hoops said it: we're all pretty set on how we view Cam for now. Until any new info - bad or good - breaks, we're not wavering, and even then, most of us still likely won't waver. As I mentioned previously, I'm seeing valid reasons from both camps, and I think it comes down to value assessment. My background is in literature, and projecting these guys to the NFL is almost like translating poetry. When, you take a phrase from one language and try to transfer it to another, you're going to lose some things and - hopefully, if the translation is good - gain some things. There's a Li Po (8th century Chinese poet) poem that Ezra Pound famously translated. Rather than giving a strict translation, he played upon the strengths of the poem and the English language. There are other more literal translations where the poem falls flat, because English can't do all the things that Chinese does. There are going to be aspects of these players games that they can't take with them to the NFL. The great ones develop aspects of their pro games they didn't have in college. That's the art of the business, I think - figuring out which ones have the tools to take as much as they can with them while developing new aspects of their games to make them great NFL players.

Well I don't think anyone is surprised that Auburn fans love some Cam Newton. You'll find this on every QB prospect in the draft.. You can find it on Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Greg McElroy, Ricky Stanzi,.... I mean good grief.

However, what remains to be seen is how they change their tune in a few years when the NCAA comes calling to snatch that BCS Trophy and Heisman away from the Auburn fanbase... the right person just hasn't spoke up yet, but they will.

The pro-Cam Newton/Tim Tebow crowd will always refer to the people that don't worship the ground these kids walks on as "haters"... (whatever in the hell that is)...

Even so, I know Cam Newton has more to work with than Tim Tebow from a passing perspective, and if Cam Newton is even HALF the worker Tim Tebow is, he'll prove his detractors wrong.

We'll see...

I forgot, stats is the most important factor when looking at a prospect.

Nice way to completely change the argument. I never said stats are the way you evaluate a QB or that Cam Newton is a better passer than Todd because his stats say so.

You said Cam Newton merely replicated Chris Todd's success as a passer. You were wrong.

Back
Top Bottom