The reason Dolphins management and ownership aren’t devastated by draft position falling | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The reason Dolphins management and ownership aren’t devastated by draft position falling

That's what worries me. We have accumulated a ton of capital, and now we are going to go all in on one player, when if we had managed to lose another game or two, we could have had that player, and the capital. I am generally against tanking, but it feels like we got to experience the tank, and now aren't even going to get the promised payoff.

exactly

That's what worries me. We have accumulated a ton of capital, and now we are going to go all in on one player, when if we had managed to lose another game or two, we could have had that player, and the capital. I am generally against tanking, but it feels like we got to experience the tank, and now aren't even going to get the promised payoff.
I agree.

The more I ponder the situation, seeing first hand how Flores and staff have been able to so quickly get players, who are perceived to be void of talent, to develop into a cohesive, functional team, is it such a strech to think he can't coach up a QB that maybe doesn't have the pedigree, but has the tools?

Yes, it may take a little more time, but in the long run, it may be the way to go. It sure would be nice if we could use our picks on players, rather than a player.

I know patience is running thin after the debacle of the last two decades, but I'm trying to keep my eyes on the prize.

What leads you to beleive we will be in a position to get Tua? Are you in favor of trading up?

I'm not. The price would likely be too much.

We are currently slotted 4th pick, and the way we are improving, in combination with how bad some of our remaining opponents are, I could see us dropping to 6th.

The Giants (at #3) probably arent taking a QB, but they can certainly hold teams hostage in a trade down, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Skins went QB.

Who the hell know what that Jets clown show is going to do, but they will likely pick ahead of us, and no way, no how do they allow us to get a top QB, if they have any choice in the matter.
Bengals get Burrow. Rest of the top 5 is us, Redskins, Jets, Giants I think. Don't see any of them going QB (Could do with Haskins having a decent end to the season to make sure).

Bengals get Burrow. Rest of the top 5 is us, Redskins, Jets, Giants I think. Don't see any of them going QB (Could do with Haskins having a decent end to the season to make sure).
Like I said, the Giants likely won't take a QB, but if someone offers up a couple first rounders +, they will jump on it.

I just don't see Tua dropping to say #5.

Maybe I'm not being impartial though. While I don't "hate" Tua, I'm not as high on him as many are.

I agree.

The more I ponder the situation, seeing first hand how Flores and staff have been able to so quickly get players, who are perceived to be void of talent, to develop into a cohesive, functional team, is it such a strech to think he can't coach up a QB that maybe doesn't have the pedigree, but has the tools?

Yes, it may take a little more time, but in the long run, it may be the way to go. It sure would be nice if we could use our picks on players, rather than a player.

I know patience is running thin after the debacle of the last two decades, but I'm trying to keep my eyes on the prize.
Rosen has the tools. If they can coach up a new draft pick, why can’t the coach up Rosen?

You still better go to 2 unless you want to get trumped.

I must say that I am worried about our FinHeaven fanbase …. I mean what if we do draft Tua … trading up, falling to us … whatever scenario fits your passion … we draft him and he doesn't pan out (for whatever reason) … should the admins run a member drive? My fear is we may lose a bunch of guys that give the site support.

I'm not saying he will fail or that I wouldn't want him … just saying there's a bunch that are all in …. since we seem to be able to speculate how great he already is in an NFL uniform …..what if he ain't

It was really hard to not start another thread :lol:

Rosen has the tools. If they can coach up a new draft pick, why can’t the coach up Rosen?
Maybe they can, or maybe he has an incorrectable flaw. He seems to have an issue processing information as quickly as is required, when it comes to reads, timing, and progressions. Maybe the "light" comes on, maybe it doesn't. Maybe he comes out and lights up the league next year, but I'm not counting on it. I have no doubt, that in the right situation, he can be sevicable, but some flaws are simply not correctable, without years of repitition in a given system. Take RTs pocket awareness issues. Doomed him to a ceiling of mediocrity.

That's why i don't discount the fans that say keep taking QBs until you hit. I hate to use picks, willy nilly on project QBs, but the arguement has merit. When you find that guy, and you put him in a good situation, its pay dirt.

Like I said, the Giants likely won't take a QB, but if someone offers up a couple first rounders +, they will jump on it.

I just don't see Tua dropping to say #5.

Maybe I'm not being impartial though. While I don't "hate" Tua, I'm not as high on him as many are.
I've never seen a college game in my life so I never really know much about anyone in the draft tbh. Prob helps avoid disappointment, though Charles Harris was the first player I saw us draft so it probably just delays it!

My initial inclination is to pass on that. I would at least want the early teens first back. We need a lot of quality starters, and 4th rounders are usually "project" types, with flaws, unless a particular position is very deep.

The one exception to that is the RB position. You can find servicable backs in later rounds.
It would have to include the other teams first

Maybe they can, or maybe he has an incorrectable flaw. He seems to have an issue processing information as quickly as is required, when it comes to reads, timing, and progressions. Maybe the "light" comes on, maybe it doesn't. Maybe he comes out and lights up the league next year, but I'm not counting on it. I have no doubt, that in the right situation, he can be sevicable, but some flaws are simply not correctable, without years of repitition in a given system. Take RTs pocket awareness issues. Doomed him to a ceiling of mediocrity.

That's why i don't discount the fans that say keep taking QBs until you hit. I hate to use picks, willy nilly on project QBs, but the arguement has merit. When you find that guy, and you put him in a good situation, its pay dirt.

He has the physical tools, all day long. Decent pocket presence and escapability. But his fatal flaws, as you pointed out, are reading defenses and staying on timing. He's not just having an issue trying to upgrade his reading skills to the NFL speed / level...he's having to learn it from scratch. He's essentially still a really raw rookie, he didn't have to do that stuff at UCLA or Arizona. He's also one of those "I will master this **** if it kills me" types, at least that's how he comes across to me...so who knows? Year or two down the road?

He has the physical tools, all day long. Decent pocket presence and escapability. But his fatal flaws, as you pointed out, are reading defenses and staying on timing. He's not just having an issue trying to upgrade his reading skills to the NFL speed / level...he's having to learn it from scratch. He's essentially still a really raw rookie, he didn't have to do that stuff at UCLA or Arizona. He's also one of those "I will master this **** if it kills me" types, at least that's how he comes across to me...so who knows? Year or two down the road?
He's also still young. Younger than many guys still in college, if I'm not mistaken.

IF Miami trades 3 or 4 picks to move up and get the QB that changes the franchise, there will be very few people that worry about who pick 17 or 24 was for their teams, no one will care who pick 40, or wherever it's traded from, was chosen. I'd gladly give up Charles Harris, Gesicki, and Parker for Tua. Hell, we already gave up Tunsil and Fitzpatrick for this opportunity.
Way too much to give up for an unproven player. If he doesn’t become a star it will be one of the worst moves in franchise history

Back
Top Bottom