What Does Rt17 Need To Do To Keep The Starting Job In 19? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Does Rt17 Need To Do To Keep The Starting Job In 19?

I think all Tannehill needs to do is hope that Gase is still the HC and he'll be just fine

If he is healthy next year he'll be starting. Simple as that.

Rough day in the NFL, a lot of QBs went down. Finding a QB is tough. Rumor has it Shea Patterson from Michigan will be going pro. If we can get him in 3rd or later round I'd go for it. I don't heavily follow many QBs in college, but from what I've seen, definitely thin. But you just never know.

7 years in and still having the same debates, that really should speak volumes...

I don’t think there’s much to debate. I empathize with those who love Tanne but it’s indesputable that he is no longer the future.

The question is whether Tanne should stick around until we are able to transition and will Gase be given the time to develope a QB.

I find it so depressing that the best defence of Tannehill appears to be that there are QBs that exist that are worse than him, so why not pay the man $26 million next year to sit out most of the season then not stink it up as much as someone else potentially could on the rare occassion he makes the field.

Smdh, missing the point completely. Everyone is completely confident that we instantly improve at the position with anyone but Tannehill. Change for the sake of change. Until you are completely confident you have someone who is, you ride with your best option to win. Want to sign someone fine, but you don’t just toss Tannehill aside until you’re sure in your situation that it’s has been fact improved..

The level of ignorance being shown on this forum lately is at an all time high and it’s extremely cringeworthy.

He hasn’t had 7 years of play, the two injuries he had are not related and were fluke in nature. Those are the two most posted items against him by the same people provided like clockwork on every damn post in existance.

The way this team is built at the moment is structured to cause anyone you draft to be put in an instant position to fail. There has been no drive to ever build a team so now the answer is to wait until you find someone who doesn’t need a team around them. Good luck in those endeavors and chances are you will not be the one to land that transcendental player.

But hey the guy sucks, cant stay healthy, and has had plenty of time and a fair shot to show he can haul 50lbs of **** in a 25lb bag, right?

Want to sign someone? Fine. Want to move on just to move on? Ignorant...

I posted this in a previous post ... and I will post it once again here, in nauseating detail.

This franchise desperately ... DESPERATELY ... needs to move on from Tannehill. As far as I'm concerned, if it was up to me, I wouldn't have Tannehill start another game for us ... I'd sit him for the rest of this season, than get rid of him at the end and take the $13 million dollar cap hit like a man.

The Tannehill supporters on this site seriously need to wake up. I support my Phins just as much as the next guy, but I don't look through rose colored glasses either. For me ... the Cincy game was the final straw with me for Tanny. You can state any excuse you want for him ... we've all heard them. Weak O-Line ... playcalling and coaching ... non-existent running game ... WRs cant get open ... etc. ... I've heard them all ... but eventually, the excuses run out. Tanny has yet to grab the bull by the horns, say to himself - 'I'm not going out like this' - and elevate his play to elevate this team. He simply cant do it. He is simply one of those QBs, that LITERALLY needs everything around him to be perfect in order for him to succeed ... and if it isn't, and the team begins to crumble, he crumbles with it.

The most frustrating (yet, most accurate) description of Tanny is he is the epitome of a "QB Tease" ... he's not a bad QB, but he isn't a good one. He will show you his flashes ... his athleticism ... and his talent of what he can do on occasion (usually against subpar teams), and it ultimately leads you to that false belief that - 'Yes, hes finally turning the corner'. But then, when the chips are down, and he faces a good team and is asked to elevate his play against a good team (i.e. - The Pats earlier this year), he absolutely craps the bed. Thats the problem with Tanny. Now the bigger problem he does to our franchise OVERALL ... hes 'good enough' to keep his job, but he's 'not good enough' to elevate this team to where it needs to go. When you have a QB like that, what does it ultimately do to your franchise? It keeps you in what I (and many) like to call "football purgatory" ... every year finishing between 6-10 to 8-8, with the occasional 'surprise' of 9-7 or 10-6 (2016). You head into the following season thinking that the QB will 'take the step forward' ... he doesn't ... finish with the same record ... rinse and repeat.

Tanny is 40-42 as a starter ... in 82 career games, hes had only 16 games where he threw over 300 yards, and I believe only 3 games IN HIS CAREER where he threw for 4 TDs in game. To put that in perspective ... Patrick Mahomes has half of that amount of 300 yard games (8), and 5 "4 TD games" IN THIS SEASON ALONE!!! I'm honestly of the belief that in today's pass-happy NFL, if you don't have a QB that can consistently put up 300 yards or 3-4 TDs on a consistent basis ... not every game, but consistently ... I don't think you should be a starter in this league. With Tanny ... injuries aside, even if he wasn't injured ... I don't think he should be the starter anymore, not just with us, but with anyone. I'm sorry ... I know he is a good kid, and he's represented himself with class and dignity with this team ... but that doesn't win games for you. The kid simply isn't good enough ... Bottom line.

The Dolphins seriously ... SERIOUSLY ... need to stop kidding themselves and move on from him. Suck up your pride ... admit you were wrong ... and take your $13 million dollar cap hit like a man. Or, if you're going to hang on to him for yet one more (wasted) year, you need to give him competition. For me, draft a QB ... I don't care who, and I don't care in what round. Get some young, hungry, blood in there and give him a chance at the job, and to also put some pressure on Tanny. Tanny has had 7 years worth of chances, he's never faced any kind of pressure with his job since hes been there despite accomplishing nearly nothing, and he simply has not lived up to his billing. Were their times, not everything was his fault? Absolutely ... mainly under the "Fail"bin era ... but the excuses are all but over. Nobody in the league will ever fear the Dolphins with Tanny under center. He has not gotten any respect in the league in the 7 years he's been with us, and to be frank ... why should he? He hasn't accomplished a damn thing with us ... he cant even get this team to the playoffs (and no, I don't count 2016 ... because I believe, those final three games Matt Moore started would have ended differently in some fashion if Tanny played in them).

Its just time to move on ... I think a good portion of this fan base doesn't want to go through another "wasted TanneKILL year". Release him and move on ... otherwise, all your doing is repeating the formula I stated above (3rd paragraph / Last 3 sentences). Even if you draft a QB and miss on him ... its okay. At least you tried and moved on, because after 7 years with Tannehill, one thing is for certain ... he is not gonna take us where we need (WANT) to go. He is what he is ... and everyone sees it by now.

Last edited:
I posted this in a previous post ... and I will post it once again here, in nauseating detail.

This franchise desperately ... DESPERATELY ... needs to move on from Tannehill. As far as I'm concerned, if it was up to me, I wouldn't have Tannehill start another game for us ... I'd sit him for the rest of this season, than get rid of him at the end and take the $13 million dollar cap hit like a man.

The Tannehill supporters on this site seriously need to wake up. I support my Phins just as much as the next guy, but I don't look through rose colored glasses either. For me ... the Cincy game was the final straw with me for Tanny. You can state any excuse you want for him ... we've all heard them. Weak O-Line ... playcalling and coaching ... non-existent running game ... WRs cant get open ... etc. ... I've heard them all ... but eventually, the excuses run out. Tanny has yet to grab the bull by the horns, say to himself - 'I'm not going out like this' - and elevate his play to elevate this team. He simply cant do it. He is simply one of those QBs, that LITERALLY needs everything around him to be perfect in order for him to succeed ... and if it isn't, and the team begins to crumble, he crumbles with it.

The most frustrating (yet, most accurate) description of Tanny is he is the epitome of a "QB Tease" ... he's not a bad QB, but he isn't a good one. He will show you his flashes ... his athleticism ... and his talent of what he can do on occasion (usually against subpar teams), and it ultimately leads you to that false belief that - 'Yes, hes finally turning the corner'. But then, when the chips are down, and he faces a good team and is asked to elevate his play against a good team (i.e. - The Pats earlier this year), he absolutely craps the bed. Thats the problem with Tanny. Now the bigger problem he does to our franchise OVERALL ... hes 'good enough' to keep his job, but he's 'not good enough' to elevate this team to where it needs to go. When you have a QB like that, what does it ultimately do to your franchise? It keeps you in what I (and many) like to call "football purgatory" ... every year finishing between 6-10 to 8-8, with the occasional 'surprise' of 9-7 or 10-6 (2016). You head into the following season thinking that QB with 'take the step forward' ... he doesn't ... finish with the same record ... rinse and repeat.

Tanny is 40-42 as a starter ... in 82 career games, hes had only 16 games where he threw over 300 yards, and I believe only 3 games IN HIS CAREER where he threw for 4 TDs in game. To put that in perspective ... Patrick Mahomes has half of that amount of 300 yard games (8), and 5 "4 TD games" IN THIS SEASON ALONE!!! I'm honestly of the belief that in today's pass-happy NFL, if you don't have a QB that can consistently put up 300 yards or 3-4 TDs on a consistent basis ... not every game, but consistently ... I don't think you should be a starter in this league. With Tanny ... injuries aside, even if he wasn't injured ... I don't think he should be the starter anymore, not just with us, but with anyone. I'm sorry ... I know he is a good kid, and he's represented himself with class and dignity with this team ... but that doesn't win games for you. The kid simply isn't good enough ... Bottom line.

The Dolphins seriously ... SERIOUSLY ... need to stop kidding themselves and move on from him. Suck up your pride ... admit you were wrong ... and take your $13 million dollar cap hit like a man. Or, if you're going to hang on to him for yet one more (wasted) year, you need to give him competition. For me, draft a QB ... I don't care who, and I don't care in what round. Get some young, hungry, blood in there and give him a chance at the job, and to also put some pressure on Tanny. Tanny has had 7 years worth of chances, he's never faced any kind of pressure with his job since hes been there despite accomplishing nearly nothing, and he simply has not lived up to his billing. Were their times, not everything was his fault? Absolutely ... mainly under the "Fail"bin era ... but the excuses are all but over. Nobody in the league will ever fear the Dolphins with Tanny under center. He has not gotten any respect in the league in the 7 years he's been with us, and to be frank ... why should he? He hasn't accomplished a damn thing with us ... he cant even get this team to the playoffs (and no, I don't count 2016 ... because I believe, those final three games Matt Moore started would have ended differently in some fashion if Tanny played in them).

Its just time to move on ... I think a good portion of this fan base doesn't want to go through another "wasted TanneKILL year". Release him and move on ... otherwise, all your doing is repeating the formula I stated above (3rd paragraph / Last 3 sentences). Even if you draft a QB and miss on him ... its okay. At least you tried and moved on, because after 7 years with Tannehill, one thing is for certain ... he is not gonna take us where we need (WANT) to go. He is what he is ... and everyone sees it by now.

dude unless you are blind AND have no sense (ie, even if you never seen T you can listen to his shenanigans on the radio) you know T is a terrible QB.
disregard all statistical talk. the people who defend T are equivalent to those who defend Winslow from the Heat. "O hes going to 'develop' (keyword denoting sucking) into a star in the NBA, not a super star, but a star". Fing guy throws up 10 ft airballs FFS, its the Tanny Syndrome.

Last edited:
This thread is funny... two posts above... "take the $13million dollar cap hit like a man".

That's hilarious... I'm sure you'd do great running a business.

The reality is pretty much everyone has resigned to the fact that Tannehill is not the future here - even the supporters. Another reality? His salary is structured in a way that he should be here next year... regardless of what we do to bring in a rookie or development guy. He's paid mid level starting QB money and he is about a mid to lower mid level starting QB - so his salary value isn't actually HORRIBLE and certainly his contract is not as big of an issue as it's made out to be. If you just cut him, the dead money would be so much that it's ridiculous, it doesn't make sense.

We need to get a new quarterback - doesn't look like a great one is going to become a free agent... and someone like Stafford, Carr, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick, Winston, etc.... none of those guys are a long term answer.

As a result, you draft a QB and you sit him behind Tannehill next year. Then you cut Tannehill before 2020 when the dead cap isn't bad. It's that simple. Whether you were ever a supporter of Tannehill or not, he was never a HORRIBLE quarterback... so unless we get a legit rookie who actually beats him out in camp next year, the smart move would be to draft who we want to draft and run with Tannehill for one more year - for better or worse.

Everything is pointing towards another year of hell for the fans. Dissapointing. And even that is in limbo for another 5 years of hell depending on what the FO does.

I mean, does anyone even think the FO suddenly does the right thing, whatever that is and turns this around? Naysayers can 5-5 with playoff chances all they want, but one loss down the stretch and you're out.

Just another rough year to be a fins fan with no good outlook on the horizon.

Smdh, missing the point completely. Everyone is completely confident that we instantly improve at the position with anyone but Tannehill. Change for the sake of change. Until you are completely confident you have someone who is, you ride with your best option to win. Want to sign someone fine, but you don’t just toss Tannehill aside until you’re sure in your situation that it’s has been fact improved..

The level of ignorance being shown on this forum lately is at an all time high and it’s extremely cringeworthy.

He hasn’t had 7 years of play, the two injuries he had are not related and were fluke in nature. Those are the two most posted items against him by the same people provided like clockwork on every damn post in existance.

The way this team is built at the moment is structured to cause anyone you draft to be put in an instant position to fail. There has been no drive to ever build a team so now the answer is to wait until you find someone who doesn’t need a team around them. Good luck in those endeavors and chances are you will not be the one to land that transcendental player.

But hey the guy sucks, cant stay healthy, and has had plenty of time and a fair shot to show he can haul 50lbs of **** in a 25lb bag, right?

Completely missing the point. What's the point of having a middle of the road QB (at his very best, which is only against bad teams at home) that can't get on the field, paying him $26million because you are too scared to take a chance on someone else. That that kind of thinking is ignorant.

This thread is funny... two posts above... "take the $13million dollar cap hit like a man".

That's hilarious... I'm sure you'd do great running a business.

The reality is pretty much everyone has resigned to the fact that Tannehill is not the future here - even the supporters. Another reality? His salary is structured in a way that he should be here next year... regardless of what we do to bring in a rookie or development guy. He's paid mid level starting QB money and he is about a mid to lower mid level starting QB - so his salary value isn't actually HORRIBLE and certainly his contract is not as big of an issue as it's made out to be. If you just cut him, the dead money would be so much that it's ridiculous, it doesn't make sense.

We need to get a new quarterback - doesn't look like a great one is going to become a free agent... and someone like Stafford, Carr, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick, Winston, etc.... none of those guys are a long term answer.

As a result, you draft a QB and you sit him behind Tannehill next year. Then you cut Tannehill before 2020 when the dead cap isn't bad. It's that simple. Whether you were ever a supporter of Tannehill or not, he was never a HORRIBLE quarterback... so unless we get a legit rookie who actually beats him out in camp next year, the smart move would be to draft who we want to draft and run with Tannehill for one more year - for better or worse.

It's not real money dude, lol, it's a cap penalty ! Running it as a business makes absolute sense to cut him, you save a lot of real money !

Why Ryan Tannehill Will Be Miami’s Starting Quarterback in 2019

Buckle up, Dolphins fans. There is no TL;DR version of this. If you want to be invested in who the starting quarterback should be for the Miami Dolphins next season, take into account every bit of information that goes along with it. And I’m telling you upfront, there’s a lot.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/why-ryan-tannehill-will-be-miamis-starting-quarterback-in-2019/

Looks like he put alot into that... agree or disagree

Last edited:
Why Ryan Tannehill Will Be Miami’s Starting Quarterback in 2019

Buckle up, Dolphins fans. There is no TL;DR version of this. If you want to be invested in who the starting quarterback should be for the Miami Dolphins next season, take into account every bit of information that goes along with it. And I’m telling you upfront, there’s a lot.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/why-ryan-tannehill-will-be-miamis-starting-quarterback-in-2019/

Looks like he put alot into that... agree or disagree

Dude, there is little doubt he will be, that's the saddest thing about this whole situation. Most folks can see that, we know how dysfunctional our organisation is and have no faith in them doing what they really should do. Don't need an article to tell us that !

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure who is saying move on from Tannehill just to move on, but we clearly can not count on tannehill anymore. We need better stability at the most important position in Football.

I wouldn't mind keeping tannehill and adding a QB via free agent/trade/draft and see who comes out on top. The Cutler signing felt like a panic move and Osweiler was a late signing, all this means is that we felt comfortable with what we had at the QB position and it bit us two years in row because the QB position clearly was not a priority for us and needs to be a top priority this off season.

Dude, there is little doubt he will be, that's the saddest thing about this whole situation. Most folks can see that, we know how dysfunctional our organisation is and have no faith in them doing what they really should do. Don't need an article to tell us that !

Well you can always hope for Teddy, seems like alot of people are on that bandwagon, probably cause its one of the few possible plausible ideas people can point to and actually not flat out dismiss.

Back
Top Bottom