What might the Dolphins do with the 13.6m coming this week | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What might the Dolphins do with the 13.6m coming this week

While I have my ideas on who I would like to see on our team, I'll leave it to the coaching staff and front office to make those decisions due to their having a much higher level of knowledge about both the players and our needs than most posters.

Training camp will result in our basic roster, which should be completed after our pre-season games. Any necessary player additions should be made then, when the largest number of unemployed NFL caliber players are available due to other NFL teams getting down to their final roster, along with any unsigned FA's still available.

I do know we can't buy everything we want right away, so once we have committed most of our money to the 90 plus roster, I expect the FO to maintain a "slush fund for those "unexpected" events that occur during the course of an NFL season.

That should be simple enough to understand, even for most of the posters on this board. - LOL

My comprehension looks pretty good from here. - LOL
Very good of you to leave the decisions to the coaches and executives that work for the team. That's commendable.

We need to keep at least half that for in season signings for injuries. The rest ain't much and should be saved to carry over next season. People suggesting that we add Cook or some other big name don't understand how the cap works and what we need heading in to the season...

I'm like a number of fans here . . . I'd love to have Cook. The debate is over how much he's worth and, included in that, are countless variables, including how much to save for emergencies and how much for carryover.

Not sure it would add all that much, TBH.

Not that he hasn't shown to be a capable player, he has. It's a cost/benefit situation. If it's at the right price, it could make sense.

I have no reason to believe McD will stray from the RBBC philosophy, and if that is the case, what is the addition worth? In reality, Cook is no better than what was our production last year, statistically. I do believe statistics need to be taken in context, though.

Bottom line for me, with the addition of Achane, I don't see a Cook signing as being imperative, or worth a multi-year, guaranteed $ contract.

I know you, and others, disagree, but unless our staff have the mindset of giving Cook 80% of the carries/touches, I can't see a big contract offer, and think Cook will get better offers elsewhere.

I also don't buy the premise that Cook would take a lesser contract to play for the Phins, as opposed to elsewhere.
With the addition of Achane I agree that getting Cook is not imperative. However, still think it makes a lot of sense and could be huge for us. I'm much less concerned with how snaps get split up early in the season when all guys are healthy than with just having healthy impact RB's available all season and into a playoff run. I don't think folks realize how fortunate we were last year that Mostert played as much as he did, it was pretty out of character for him and he is 31 now. I look at him as gravy when you have him but for planning purposes I don't think you can count on him. And if Mostert goes down are we set with Wilson, Achane and Ahmed? Seems a little thin to me and I'm super optimistic about Achane but he is still a rookie and who knows how McD envisions using him this year. Wilson is also injury prone and just ok. I like Ahmed but he is just a couple touch a game guy at best.

This room could certainly use a vet tailback adept at both workhorse run plays and receiving out of the backfield. Then Mostert becomes a change of pace guy with limited snaps which in theory will help him stay healthier through the season. Wilson becomes insurance instead of 1A. With vets manning the traditional RB position McD can then create his Achane package of plays, some RB but likely some in the slot as well. Not imperative but adding Cook turns a middle of the pack RB room into a top 3-4 room in the league. Primed for a SB run this year I'd be all for it if we can possibly afford it.

It doesn't? Who in the RB room does what Cook can do in the form of changing how the defense plays us? If Tua goes down, our current RB room can't consistently field a run first offense. This makes us have to hope Skylar or White can do what Tua does in the passing game. They can't. We are at that point still a passing team with our passer out. Sure, we can get lucky. But Cook changes how the defense plays us while giving us the chance to lead with the run should Tua go down.
I can’t control whether or not we sign him.

He may not even want to play in Miami.

We might get massively outbid (do you have a number you wouldn’t go to in terms of years or guarantees?)

But I can control my reaction to the outcome.

And I’ve decided to be ok with either i) don’t sign him or ii) sign him to a reasonable deal.

Either way we should be a better team than last year based on the work put in over the past few months.

That doesn’t make me “anti” the player

We might get massively outbid (do you have a number you wouldn’t go to in terms of years or guarantees?)

And I’ve decided to be ok with either i) don’t sign him or ii) sign him to a reasonable deal.

Either way we should be a better team than last year based on the work put in over the past few months.

Very stoic of you. I am of the same mindset.

I've also determined my reaction. I'm either going to be happy or feel that we missed an opportunity to make the '23 Dolphins better and more capable to get to the super bowl.

I've also determined my reaction. I'm either going to be happy or feel that we missed an opportunity to make the '23 Dolphins better and more capable to get to the super bowl.
Fair enough!

Assuming we are interested in signing him … and so are other teams … what’s your top number for a contract?

Or is it pay whatever it takes?

Fair enough!

Assuming we are interested in signing him … and so are other teams … what’s your top number for a contract?

Or is it pay whatever it takes?
The Cookaneers propose the following:

3YR/$33MM with $10MM guaranteed
- Y1 - $10MM with $6MM guaranteed, $1MM incentives
- Y2 - $11MM with $3MM guaranteed, $2MM incentives
- Y3 - $12MM with $1MM guaranteed, $3MM incentives

Aaron Jones, 29, recently signed a 2-year contract with GB worth $11.5MM AAV with $8MM guarantee.
Going with @AquaHawk's well thought through #'s from earlier.

Going with @AquaHawk's well thought through #'s from earlier.
My opinion, we don't offer him anywhere near that kind of money.

If we were, it would have made more sense to trade for him and take on his current deal, would it not?

If we were, it would have made more sense to trade for him and take on his current deal, would it not?
Not a capologist. Don't have the full breakdown of his deal vs. the speculative one AH put together.

I would take cook and can Gaskins and Ahmed

Considering Mosert, Wilson’s, and Archane plus the FB.

What makes you think either of those guys has a shot at making the roster? The 4 I mentioned are practically locks already.

I agree, would have to think we tap out around $6MM or $7MM a year and even that's a stretch w/ our budget. Not sure if that gets it done but hometown, no income tax, good weather and hot babes, team primed for a SB run ...

A lot to like, hopefully they find a way to make it happen.

I agree, would have to think we tap out around $6MM or $7MM a year and even that's a stretch w/ our budget. Not sure if that gets it done but hometown, no income tax, good weather and hot babes, team primed for a SB run ...

A lot to like, hopefully they find a way to make it happen.
I'm thinking closer to 5m tops, but if it's a bit more, meh. The devil is in the details, such as the guarantees, # of years, etc.

Back
Top Bottom