ESPN proposed Dolphins trade for Russell Wilson | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN proposed Dolphins trade for Russell Wilson

Seattle offers you Russell Wilson for Tua, picks #18 and #81 this year, and next year's first.

• We have a deal!

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • Nah bro, I'm good.

Votes: 125 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wilson has been a great QB in the NFL, if this was 5 years ago, I would do it in a heartbeat but he's north of 30 now and honestly last year while starting off the season on fire, his play was somewhat suspect. Is he better than Tua right now, absolutely, much less of a question than even Watson. But I'm not sure how long that situation will remain like that.

I think one thing with all these trade for this QB and trade for this other QB threads that is forgotten about is the value of having a QB on a rookie deal, it's basically giving you a free $30 mill or more in cap space, that's two quality starters. Good teams ride that contract for as long as they can, they don't just throw away that advantage.
Stop making sense for gosh sake this is FH

Sounds like you were listening to Mad Dog in the morning. A caller brought this point up specifically...

I took a sip of my Jamaican Blue Mountain, by way of Royal Farms, and thought..."He's so used to feeling dead that death by paper cuts means nothing to a fan like that."
I’m not sure I know who “Mad Dog” is but no I didn’t listen to anyone today. The concept has been repeated many times the last couple of years.

ESPN's Bill Barnwell has an article outlining potential trade packages for Russell Wilson from four teams, including Miami.

For Miami, we would acquire Wilson in exchange for Tua, picks #18 and #81 this year, and next year's first.

If you're in Chris Grier's shoes, are you taking the deal?
HELL NO

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat faster than the ridiculous deals floated around for Watson.

The Watson deals were...Tua, the number 3 pick, the 36th pick, and our first next year and the year after LOL.

Wilson for Tua and 2 first rounders and a 3rd isn’t bad, especially considering we still keep number 3 pick and I suspect our first next year will be in the 25-30 range.

I’d still probably rather just roll with Tua but he definitely needs to step it up this year and we need to give him some more weapons and protection.

I wouldn't even be discussing this if it wasn't for the type of QB that could potentially be available in Wilson and Watson. It has nothing to do with Tua, Wilson and Watson are rare QB's that NEVER become available at this point in their careers. There are only a handful of elite QB's, the chance of Tua being as good as Watson or Wilson are so slim, otherwise every team would have elite QB's. There is no sure thing draft pick. I still don't understand why so many of you guys over value our draft picks, have you seen our draft history? I bet Bills fans don't regret giving up a 1st round pick for Diggs. I know you guys would have lost your minds if we did that.
Since neither the Seahawks or the Texans have indicated that they are going to trade either of these QB’s, I am not sure how you have determined they are available. Wilson has some issues with the Seahawks but I don’t see him being traded and since he is under contract, I suspect you will see him playing QB for the Seahawks next season.

Obviously the Watson situation is different because it has been reported he will sit out the season instead of play for the Texans. Yet with a new GM and HC and a team that needs to be rebuilt, the Texans are in no hurry to trade Watson. If they are smart, they would let him sit out the 2021 season with no pay. Eventually Watson will realize that his only option if he wants to play in the NFL is to work out his issues with the Texans.

You state that picking players in the draft is no sure thing. You then add that we over value the picks the Dolphins have in the draft. Yet you expect the Texans to trade Watson for these so called over valued draft picks and then hope they select solid players with those picks. If the draft is as bad as you imply it is in regards to selecting good NFL players, the Texans would be idiots for trading away a top 5 QB for any draft picks.

I think your view of the draft is the perfect reason why the Seahawks and Texans should refuse to trade either of their QB’s. Both teams have top caliber QB’s now and trading either of them for draft picks would make no sense because as you stated, ”there is no sure thing when it comes to draft picks”.

Last edited:
This fan base is wild. We haven’t had a star QB in decades and we wouldn’t trade 2 firsts (one being next year and the other not even #3) and a 2nd for one of the best QBs in the league?

This would be an easy yes.

Tuas high ceiling if he reaches it would be a player like Russell Wilson. No point in spending money on Wilson, and I doubt Grier and his staff is interested at all.
How do you know this? Tua's accuracy and fast release put him closer to Drew Brees as his ceiling. Where do you get your information from?

How do you know this? Tua's accuracy and fast release put him closer to Drew Brees as his ceiling. Where do you get your information from?

Just his profile fits a very similar profile to Wilson. I mean if you are challenging me for knowledge I don't have in terms of figuring out the future then I can't help you there. Russell WIlson isn't really the most mobile qb in the league or at least compared to guys like Jackson etc, but he can make plays with his feet if he wanted to. If anything Tua's type of play resembles closer to Wilson than any other qb in the league.

ESPN's Bill Barnwell has an article outlining potential trade packages for Russell Wilson from four teams, including Miami.

For Miami, we would acquire Wilson in exchange for Tua, picks #18 and #81 this year, and next year's first.

If you're in Chris Grier's shoes, are you taking the deal?
Nope... keep Tua and if you're not sold on him draft another ... Wilson, Watson, Mahomes.... won't win you a championship without weapons (no draft picks to grow the team ... no cap to buy the players needed and a 30+ yr. old QB or a young gun with our cap tied to his waste for years with nobody grooming behind them ... not a great plan for the future IMo ... but man those ESPN highlights!!!:ffic::woot:

BUILD THE TEAM ... THE QB WILL FOLLOW

Personally I would take a young Brees over a young Wilson and I love Wilson. So if Tua‘s ceiling is the same as Bree’s, the Dolphins would be crazy to trade him.

When is the "Dolphins trade for Aaron Rodgers" going to start?

Just his profile fits a very similar profile to Wilson. I mean if you are challenging me for knowledge I don't have in terms of figuring out the future then I can't help you there. Russell WIlson isn't really the most mobile qb in the league or at least compared to guys like Jackson etc, but he can make plays with his feet if he wanted to. If anything Tua's type of play resembles closer to Wilson than any other qb in the league.
I don't see him being a Wilson type player. Wilson seems more mobile than Tua, where Tua relies on the pocket more and relies on his accuracy to make the plays. Based on last season I just don't see a Wilson comparison, if he improves in the pocket he may be a Brees lite type of player.

This fan base is wild. We haven’t had a star QB in decades and we wouldn’t trade 2 firsts (one being next year and the other not even #3) and a 2nd for one of the best QBs in the league?

This would be an easy yes.
The Seahawks aren’t trading Wilson. So while it is okay to debate the pros and cons of a trade on a forum like this. He isn’t going to be a Miami Dolphin and most of us realize this fact.

Personally I would rather build around Tua but if the Texans or Seattle want to trade their QB straight up for Tua, I’ll go for that.

Back
Top Bottom