My First Half-Round Mock Draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My First Half-Round Mock Draft

Philter25 said:
I agree.

I think Cutler has the unteachables that Leinart and Young lack. I dont like Leinarts arm strength and until I saw his post game rose bowl comments, his attitude either. Vince Young's mechanics IMO are absolutely horrible and he lacks armstrength. I dont think his style of play will be successful in the NFL at all. I LOVE Vince Young as a college football player, but as a pro, I dont think so.

I think Cutler is still very rough around the edges. The one thing I love is he has a cannon of an arm that Leinart and Young lack. Cutler is going to need to work on his decision making. In Vandy games I watched, he relied on his cannon of an arm and threw some passes he shouldnt have thrown. Thats something thats easily corrected in the NFL. See Jake Plummer over the past 2 years.

You cant teach arm strength in the NFL. That is a quality I would love for my team's QB to have. Mechanics, footwork, and decision making are all mental things that I think can be molded with good coaching.

:yeahthat:

who knows though how Cutlers decision making will be with a decent team around him. he had to depend on that cannon @ vandy

Philter25 said:
Ugh. You guys are getting in too deep with stats and single game performances. You need to look at the overall skills and qualities of a guy. Stats IMO are not as important as intangibles and skills that cant be taught. Stats can favor heavily on the team around you. You need to evaluate each player individually based on how he treated each situation. Stats dont always tell the true picture.

Jason White put up great stats at OK the other year. Tom Brady didnt put up great stats at Michigan. Who would you rather have as your starting QB?

A QB can put up great numbers playing in a run first / option offense. That doesnt necessarily mean he will make a good west coast offense QB. Guys like Vince Young and Matt Leinart I think are good QBs, but I dont think they succeed in our system. Vince Young would struggle in Indy, but I think he would be great in Atlanta. Matt Leinart would struggle in Atlanta, but I think he would be good in New York. All 3 of the top QBs in this draft have very very different qualities and match up well in completely different offenses in the NFL.

Well said Philter, those are good examples you gave.

You simply can't ignore the quality of the team around a QB when evaluating him, just as you can't ignore the poor quality of Vandy's O-line, when criticizing Cutler for throwing off his backfoot, or throwing a risky pass, when he knows he has too to have a chance to upset a Florida or Tennessee.

NorFlaFin said:
I see the Eagles taking a stud RB maybe even trading up if neccessary. While Ryan Moats(my pick) has shown Lamar Gordon the door. He(Ryan) is still too small to be an everydown back.

BTW:The Eagle invest 1st rd pick in WR last year. Outside of a stud MLB, I don't see them picking defense on day one.

They just resigned Westbrook to a long term deal. Also the Eagles love Moats. Despite his size, he has great speed and great stop and go ability... he makes people miss in the open field.

I dont think the Eagles draft a stud RB. Their offense doesnt need one. Westbrook and Moats are like RB/WRs. Philly doesnt have a power running game but instead they use their short passing game as a running game.

Also, Trotter, their MLB, was one of their best defensive players again this year. They need an OLB IMO before a MLB.

Philly has an ageing Runyan at RT, OLB needs, they could use a pass rushing DE, another DT, and an obvious hole at WR.

I think they pick OLB, RT, or DE.

Mortensen reported last week that the Texans were going to pick up a 6 or 7 million dollar option on Carr and draft Bush. He said they were 99% percent sure they were gonna take that path. So Bush will be the #1 pick.

Nappy Roots said:
Vince Young with all that talent with him, was sacked 4 times, fumbled 2 times, intercepted 1 time, completed 54% of his passes and looked horrible agaisnt the 117th ranked defense. which is worse?

Vince Young won the best QB in college award....won a national championship...and you want to compare him to Cutler because of one game? A game by the way that Texas won 40-29.

BlueFin said:
Well said Philter, those are good examples you gave.

You simply can't ignore the quality of the team around a QB when evaluating him, just as you can't ignore the poor quality of Vandy's O-line, when criticizing Cutler for throwing off his backfoot, or throwing a risky pass, when he knows he has too to have a chance to upset a Florida or Tennessee.

Upsetting Florida would be something....but Tennessee?

Ok I get it. Let's just disregard everything BAD Jay Cutler has ever done, as simply the result of his being on a poor team. And THEN, lets count everything GOOD he has done DOUBLE because he was on a poor team! Jay Cutler for president!

fishypete said:
Vince Young won the best QB in college award....won a national championship...and you want to compare him to Cutler because of one game? A game by the way that Texas won 40-29.

no i dont. but it does work both ways. CK is gonna bring up 1 game agaisnt a much much superior team. so im gonna bring up 1 of vinces games.

ckparrothead said:
Ok I get it. Let's just disregard everything BAD Jay Cutler has ever done, as simply the result of his being on a poor team. And THEN, lets count everything GOOD he has done DOUBLE because he was on a poor team! Jay Cutler for president!

its called reality. in reality, cutlers team is bad. in reality, they cant match up agaisnt top 25 teams, the SEC period. in reality, a bad offensive line lets people get to the QB, in reality, bad WRs cant get open and tend to drop balls, in reality a bad defense keeps the offense off the field.....

Nappy Roots said:
its called reality. in reality, cutlers team is bad. in reality, they cant match up agaisnt top 25 teams, the SEC period. in reality, a bad offensive line lets people get to the QB, in reality, bad WRs cant get open and tend to drop balls, in reality a bad defense keeps the offense off the field.....

Yeah, and in reality everything he did in college is to be taken into consideration, and none of it is to be "explained away" or "disregarded"

THAT, is the reality.

ckparrothead said:
Yeah, and in reality everything he did in college is to be taken into consideration, and none of it is to be "explained away" or "disregarded"

THAT, is the reality.

ok :confused:

ckparrothead said:
:lol:

Come on CK. I respect your opinion and for the most part find most of your posts well thought out and insightful. I for one wasnt trying to go to that extreme. I try to evaluate a player on each situation, and my point was stats dont always tell the true story.

Good talent around a QB can easily inflate his stats.

Example: Ball on the 10

QB A throws a pass under pressure 8 yards downfield and makes a good throw to his WR under pressure after feeling the rush and stepping up in the pocket. The CB, who was all over the WR on the play, misses an open field tackle and the WR runs 82 yards for a TD. Stats say on the drive QB A was 1 for 1, 90 yard TD pass.

QB B throws a pass under pressure 8 yards downfield and makes a good throw to his WR under pressure after feeling the rush and stepping up in the pocket. The WR, being a freshman, looks downfield for the CB before getting both hands on the ball and securing it. The ball pops up and the CB, who was all over him on the play, catches it easily and skips 18 yards into the endzone for an INT returned for a TD. Stats say on the drive QB B was 0-1 with a TD returned for 7.

Who is the better QB? Stats say QB A is far superior than QB B although they both made the same exact throw under the same exact pressure with the same exact play called.

ckparrothead said:
I'd be willing to put money on Young to the Texans right now.
Interesting..... I cant believe no one jumped on you with this one right now. Vince Young, as the top pick in the draft.... I dunno.

I'm perfectly aware of the situations in which bad surrounding talent can impair a quarterback's performance. But everyone goes way too far in projecting things that are not based on reality. The reality, the only thing REAL is what the quarterback has done. Everything else is a projection, or NOT reality. You look at the tape. You figure out what he has and has not shown. You look at the stats, to give you perspective on the tape. You do NOT disregard horrid performances just because of poor surrounding talent. It all goes into the evaluation one way or the other.

Remember, a quarterback's job (at the professional level) is not just to put together a string of throws in which you look at them all and say "well i'm not really sure this was all his fault...i mean here you had guys who just were not open, here you had a guy who if he was better could have ran for more yards after the catch, etc." That's not a quarterback's job. A quarterback's job is to make plays of his own and find a way to make it work. The former standard will have you looking at tape of Jay Fiedler and saying "well if he had better people around him..." while the latter standard would have you screaming at the top of your lungs that this is not a guy that will ever lead us to a super bowl.

ckparrothead said:
I'm perfectly aware of the situations in which bad surrounding talent can impair a quarterback's performance. But everyone goes way too far in projecting things that are not based on reality. The reality, the only thing REAL is what the quarterback has done. Everything else is a projection, or NOT reality. You look at the tape. You figure out what he has and has not shown. You look at the stats, to give you perspective on the tape. You do NOT disregard horrid performances just because of poor surrounding talent. It all goes into the evaluation one way or the other.

yes it does. i dont think anyone is disputing that. until people have a tape of him, then those that have never watched him can only look at his stats, his competition, his team, and be completely impressed.

Back
Top Bottom